Saturday, April 08, 2006

Miscellany

I was tired last night, and so only finished one afghan square. Without edging, even. It's kind of neat:
Afghan Square #61
It's double crochet (through the back loop) in one direction, and crab stitch through the front loop in the other. (I have it sideways here... I thought maybe I'd like a vertical element in my crazyghan.)

Trekking XXL is 4,80 to 6 Euros per skein over in Europe. I'm going sock yarn shopping the next time I'm over there! Which isn't any time soon... but a girl can dream. ;)

It smells like wet wool and eucalan in my apartment today. I finally washed my Canada sweater for storage until a final allergy test in the fall, and washed both my weasley and klaralund for storage as well. Given all the pollen in the air, if I wear a sweater, it really should be one I can toss in the wash after a single use.

Klaralund and weasley are on my two drying screens, and the Canada sweater is on a towel on my dishwasher. It's laundry day today. I have no idea where I'll dry my socks.

My nose is stuffy and runny today. The weather is drippy and damp. I think the gray weather is the main reason I had trouble getting out of bed this morning... I didn't stay up all that late last night. Here's what it looked like at 1, when I was out waiting for the bus:
Sky
However, I did get up. Not only did I get up, but I hand washed three sweaters, showered, dressed, ate, started my laundry, and caught the bus over to the mall to drop off my mixed paper recycling and buy some thread to finish my filet crochet stag.

Roses no longer sells crochet thread.

Which means a trip to wally world and/or Michaels. (I'm pretty sure that's where I bought the thread originally, so I'm mostly likely to find matching thread there... and hopefully they don't have many things for me to compare my thread to, to make it easier.)

However, wally world/Michaels means shelling out $4 for the bus (round trip), or imposing on friends. B's out of town, K is crazy busy... I wonder if S would mind being imposed on tomorrow? Well, I'll figure something out eventually.

I started a "pretty pansies" square for my crazyghan:
Afghan Square in Progress
I need to check the picture to see where they want the leaves... the directions aren't all that clear.

I like the reasons listed at Learning Curves as to why Becky doesn't donate to her public radio station. My favourite is #2:
I don't negotiate with terrorists. They've taken the programming hostage and asked me to send money. If I sent money would they release my show? No. They'll keep yapping for several more days, repeating their demands. Then they'll do it again in a few months and ask for more money. Giving in encourages them.
I don't donate because I'm a tightwad. I miss CBC... great public radio, but no pledge drives. WUNC (the station around here) has at least started that thing where they'll cut the pledge drive short if they collect X amount before-hand. However, that means additional commercials asking for money before the actual pledge drive. I'm not sure this is much of an improvement.

This post is getting long, so I'll put the next two things in separate posts.

3 comments:

fledchen said...

Where is the pansy pattern from?

noricum said...

Afghans for All Seasons, Leisure Arts (1993)

KelliAmanda said...

I could pick you up some crochet threat at either Wally World or Michaels. I may be over there on Sunday (I have to babysit tomorrow night but didn't get my errands run today), and I'll be over there on Tuesday, after therapy. Just let me know what kind you need, or give me a piece on Monday (or the label - whatever). I'd offer to drive you over, but I never know when I'm going, or if I'm going, or how long I'm going to stay, or...you know.