Friday, April 14, 2006

Another Invitation

I received another invitation recently: a wedding invitation for the couple whom I've had to call 911 for. This is the one where the guy beat up the girl, and she couldn't find her cell phone. The guy does seem to have improved since his run-in with jail and an anger-management program... but I can't help but wonder if it's a mistake.

The bride-to-be came with her daughter to deliver the invitation. I was in the middle of dinner, and a bit surprised, so I didn't think to invite them in. I wonder if I should have? They were holding another invitation, and so were probably going there next, but I still could have invited them in for a few minutes.

I did decline attending the wedding. It was an easy call... it's in June, and I'm leaving at the end of May.

Now... do I give them a present? And if so, what? I hardly know them. I wave hi when I see them, and have interacted with the girl some (I even gave the girl a crocheted teddy bear), but that's about it.

So, if you have any opinions on this, please let me know.

(Blogs are great things... like personal advice columns! ;) )

2 comments:

Tandi said...

I know, I love that about blogs! You can get all kinds of opinions...
If I don't know the couple well, I usually do a card and a gift card to a store where they are registered.

Anonymous said...

Whether or not you send a gift is pretty much completely up to you. You're only obligated to do so if you attend the wedding, which you're not.

If you were going to continue living near them, I'd say you should still send something, just for good will's sake. But since you're moving, even that doesn't really matter (since you said you don't know them well and thus aren't likely to want to keep in touch after the move).

So...completely up to you and how nice/generous you're feeling. I'd probably send a small gift, 'cause I'm nice like that, -- a gift card for $10.00 maybe, or get them something cheap from their registry. But certainly don't stress over it.