Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Oopsie

I'm nearly done Clapotis, but am out of yarn:
Clapotis WIP
I thought I would surely have enough to finish by switching to decreases where I did, and that I might have even been able to go one extra straight repeat. (Hence the lifeline... which doesn't help me.)

As I see it, I have three options:
1. Rip back and make the scarf shorter.
2. Use a bit of stash sock yarn scraps to finish off.
3. Aquire more yarn.

I'd rather not do #1... I'd need to rip, pick up stitches, and reknit. But mainly I don't want to do #1 because the scarf is already pretty short.

As for #2, this is the closest I could find in my stash:
Closest Stash Match
It's quite a bit more green and brown than what I've been using. I wonder if it'll stick out like a sore thumb?

Now to evaluate option #3: The yarn is Interlacements Tiny Toes colour 201 ("the blues"?) from Simply Socks Yarn Company. SSYC currently doesn't have this colour in stock, plus it seems silly to buy an entire skein for just that little bit. (Although I could rip back to the lifeline and extend the length with the additional yarn... but, of course, that depends on being able to *get* another skein of this colour.) Alternately, does anyone have a wee bit of Tiny Toes #201 left over from a project that they'd be willing to consider parting with?

I think I'll wait a bit to see if anyone has a wee bit of leftover, and then fall back on the Cherry Tree Hill green/blue/brown leftovers. Hmmm... I can always rip that back too, if it looks bad enough. ;) Okay, I'll sleep on it tonight. If someone *does* have a bit, can you email/comment? If not, I may finish this off tomorrow night with what I have.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One other idea that might be too odd but you never know: You could finish in a coordinating or contrasting shade rather than a somewhat matching shade. Then it might look artsy and intentional rather than like you ran out of yarn.

Or it might look dumb.

Just brainstorming here!

Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest what Jessie said -- use a completely contrasting color! Or if you have some solid blue that matches one of the blues in the tiny toes... maybe that would work better?

That said, I think the CTH leftovers might work out okay -- you could try it, and if it doesn't look good, rip it back?

[I am thinking about my sock yarn stash and I know I don't have any tiny toes and I don't think I have anything close to that color either. Possibly some koigu... hm. I will try to remember to check at lunchtime.]

noricum said...

Yeah, I had considered going completely different... possibly a pinky-red? I need to dig out my Koigu scraps to see what I have. (I know I don't have pinky-red, but maybe something else will work. I dont' have the Koigu scraps with the rest of my scrap yarn because I'm planning on making a pair of socks out of them.) I think I want to stick to the same spin as Tiny Toes (which is also the same as Koigu and CTH)... I think somehow keeping that the same is important.

knittinglizzie said...

i'd go with a contrasting color. i tried to find a skein to buy for you, but everyone is out of stock! grr. use up so me stash and then add it into your miles!