Friday, January 19, 2007

Mail

I actually made it to the post office yesterday. Yay!

When I got to the post office, I told the lady I needed the forms for mailing stuff to the US. She pulled out some large white labels that said "express post".

"I want the cheap stuff," I said. (Heck, two out of the three packages contained Christmas presents... there's *no* way those suckers are going to travel back in time, so an extra bit late is not going to be an issue.)

"What?"
"I want the cheap stuff, this says express."
"I don't think it costs extra, this is standard."
Yeah, right. Canada Post is calling it's service "express" in order to make you feel better about paying too much for really slow delivery. "Are these even customs forms? Aren't they supposed to be green?"
"Well, we have these ones..." (green) "or these ones..." (smaller white forms, no express.)
"Could you look up the price?"
"Sure..."

Well, for one of the envelopes, "express" was +$12 (ouch)... and it turns out there was something called "small parcel post" for +$3.

"I'll take small parcel post, please!" The three envelopes came to just over $12 all together. Yes, it turns out you *can* get inexpensive mailing in Canada, you just have to make the underpaid clerks look for it.

Ironically, "express" said something about 10 days, and "small parcel post" said something about a week.

2 comments:

Dandy said...

I get the same crap when I go to mail stuff here too...

Anonymous said...

try attempting to use a postal machine at work, with only a 6-page "manual" to help! i think i'll definitely be going to the post office (underpaid clerks and all) when i mail you your yarn! :)