Friday, December 09, 2005

In the news...

I'm always baffled when people think the holocaust was "made up":

MOVE ISRAEL TO EUROPE, SUGGESTS IRAN'S PRESIDENT
Iran's hardline president on Thursday said he doesn't believe the Holocaust happened and he suggested European countries give up some of their land to make a new state for Israel.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/12/08/iran_israel051208.html

I am curious what was previously located where Israel is now. I want to learn more about the history of the middle east. Can anyone recommend any books that are well written (interesting, rather than dry), and are relatively unbiased? I haven't looked, because I figure most are biased for/against one side or the other.

Great sales pitch! They've got my attention:

WESTIN HOTELS TO BAN ALL SMOKING IN CANADIAN, U.S. RESORTS
Beginning in the new year, the 77 Westin hotels and resorts in Canada, the U.S. and the Caribbean are banning smoking in all of their guest rooms and public areas.
FULL STORY:
http://cbc.ca/stories/2005/12/05/westin-051205

Interesting:

RESEARCHERS EXAMINE 'TOWN WITHOUT POVERTY'
Economics researchers at the University of Manitoba are re-examining a little-known experiment in guaranteed income that look place in Dauphin, Man. in the 1970s.
FULL STORY
http://winnipeg.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=mb-dauphin-gia-20051205

"Walking stinkbomb" is exactly my opinion of the vast majority of scent wearers:

BODY SPRAY BANNED FROM N.B. SCHOOL
Budding Romeos at a school in Fredericton have been ordered to stop using a cologne that TV ads suggest will make women swoon.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/12/05/body-scent-051205.html

I get headaches, sneezing, itchy watery eyes, and problems with my asthma. I also hate how department stores locate their perfume section at the entrance, so that it's hard to get in without being exposed. Hey, department stores: you're turning me off shopping with you. Plus, when you put the perfume samples in the ads, I don't read those... the stink ends up permeating the entire ad. The not-so-stinky ones go in my paper recycling, and the bad ones go straight out to the outdoor trash. Some have even been bad enough to take adjacent ads with them. :P

No comments: