Monday, December 27, 2004

Yarn

I'm planning a visit to a yarn shop. Why? Because I only have one crochet project in progress (not counting the afghan in limbo), and I like variety. My immediate plans are to make a felted laptop sleeve, a scarf and tuque, and a pair of felted slippers. All for me. I rather like crocheting for me... I get to see the stuff all the time, and I don't have any anxiety over whether the recipient will like it, or whether it will fit. (I can measure myself as much as I need.) I think I'll order some yarn from elann.com, but I'd also like to have some immediately. Impatient, aren't I? Sheesh!

Ignoring the big box stores, it looks like Winnipeg only really has four yarn shops:

Camille's Elegant Yarns
935 Nairn Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R2L0X9
(204)667-6265

Good Wool Shop (The)
1103 Corydon Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3M0X3
(204)452-4891

Leona's Sweater & Wool Shop
1575 Logan Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3E1S5
(204)772-5503

Ram Wools
1266 Fife Street, Winnipeg, MB R2X2N6
(204)949-6868

I would have thought a city the size of Winnipeg would have more yarn shops, but Winnipeggers like their bargains... and yarn shops are rarely cheap.

I've been to the first... it's a nice little shop, but nothing really exciting. I bought some sock yarn there this summer. I found a web page for the last: Ram Wools. They look like they have a nice selection, so I think I'll go check them out. Maybe if I meet my professor at Grant Park tomorrow I'll stop in at The Good Wool Shop on the way back.

No comments: