Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Far from home

Yet another thing I can't find in the US: Lipactin... what my family's always used for cold sores. Luckily I suspected that might be the case, and asked a friend in the department what she uses. She recommended Curasore, which is kept behind the counter because it contains ether. It smells like compound-W, but it does make the sores hurt less.

Do they sell compound-W down here?

The other over-the-counter remedy I miss not being able to get down here are dequadin sore throat lozenges. Everything down here seems to contain menthol, which I *really* can't stand. Yuck! I was out of dequadin back in October when I had a sore throat, so I tried a "home-remedy": hot lemon and honey. It actually worked pretty good. Maybe I'll just use that from now on... less medication is better, in my opinion. (They need to start marketing OTC placebos... ;) )

Today I started on the second sock of my mom's pair, and continued on my TLC Amore sweater... I'm almost done the yoke on it... only about 3" to go, before I switch to body.

Another interesting thing today: Jack and I are going to write a textbook. :) We've been talking about it for a while, but now we're actually starting, so maybe it'll happen one of these days. Can you imagine seeing a textbook with my name on it? I think it'll freak me out the first while!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being one of those apparently lucky people who doesn't get cold sores, I'm afraid I'm not much use on cold sore remedies. I do get the painful ones on the inside of my mouth, but I've never put anything on those. Probably because I'm so picky about what goes in my mouth -- I'd rather deal with the pain that put something on it that tastes funny. :P

Congrats on the textbook; that's kinda cool :)

-Paulina

noricum said...

The curasore seems to work really well... one side of my mouth now looks and feels fine, and the other side is still cracked, but doesn't really hurt at all.

Thanks on the congrats... it may not happen, but it'll be really cool if it does. Right now we're outlining the chapters.