Friday, December 31, 2004

A bit of history

Well, we invited the lady next door to join us for dinner, because we figured her original plans for tonight might fall through. They did, so she came. Somehow, we got talking about some china that my mom had been given by her aunt. My great aunt passed away back in 1996, and my great uncle said that my great aunt had said that the china was for mom, since my mom had said she wanted it. Mom claims to never had said this, but my great uncle wanted to obey my great aunt's wishes. So my mom stuck the china up in a crawl space, and we've never gotten around to unpacking the box. Well, I got irritated enough at not even knowing what pattern it was, that I went up and dug out a piece.

Here's the pattern, and the information from the back:

saucer_front saucer_back

I googled it, and Alfred Meakin is the manufacturer, so 'Osiris "Solway"' must be the pattern. (Reg. No. 742045.) However, there was very little on the web. Does anyone know anything about this china? Like how old it might be, and stuff like that? Before my great-aunt, the china belonged to my great-great-grandmother MacDonald. (I'd have to hunt down a family tree to figure out when she was alive... I'm not sure if my copy is here in Winnipeg, or down in Chapel Hill, or even if it contains that information. I remember her being on it, but also that not all people had dates listed.)

Oh... and while I'm delving into history, for those yarn interested readers, here's one of my great-grandmother Olive Fortune's ornaments that we have on our tree. It's a ball of red yarn:

yarnornament

The top is a bit broken, but then it is quite old. My great-grandmother gave it (and some other ornaments) to my mom when my great-grandmother stopped putting up a tree.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you find out any more about your plate as I have got a large serving plate of the same design and the same marking on the back

noricum said...

No, no one has said anything. I know that side of my family never had a lot of money, so I'm guessing it must be relatively inexpensive stuff... and so maybe that's why collectors aren't interested in it. I'd still like to find out more, though. Do you know anything at all?

Anonymous said...

uHello,
I have a rather large set in this pattern. I took a piece and an inventory of the set to Antiques Roadshow a few years back, and they said it was worth about $1,200 - 1,500. A.R. said that people just don't use their "old" china, thus never breaking pieces that need to be replaced, and that is why there is so little to be found in the market. The only internet information source I could find was from a website about the Staffordshire potteries, website address is something like "thepotteries.org." They looked up the registration number and said it was first issued in 1928. The same pattern was produced with some variations in the pattern name, including Harmony Solent, Harmony Solway, and Osiris Solent, each of which can be found occasionally on Ebay. Hope this was useful to you. :)

noricum said...

Cool! Thanks for the information, Debbie! :)

Roger said...

If anyone's still looking after an interval of 6 years [!] I have a what amounts to a large rambling teaset in this design, mostly marked Osiris Solway, but some Solent. Besides the deep blue border version, I have a dinner set with a maroon border which is rather smart (it came from a lady in Scotland who had been given it as a wedding present and had stored it unused in her attic for 50 years - now it sits in mine). I have also seen a very few pieces with a light green border, which is interesting but not so attractive as the deep blue. I have a serving bowl in the green, but never see it nowadays. I'd be glad to hear of any other colours.