Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Toques

It's that time of year again... I start talking about toques, and American's stare at me blankly. A toque is a hat you wear in winter that keeps your head warm. It's frequently knit (or crochet), but I've seen polar fleece hats I'd call toques too. Pom-poms are optional. Alternate spelling is tuque or tuoque. Dictionary.com has a rather blah description, and Wikipedia has a more interesting one.

Oh... and a toboggan is a kind of sled. (...mutter... mutter... crazy southerner's! ... mutter...)

This educational message is brought to you by Procrastinator, she who should be working on stuff for her meeting this afternoon...

1 comment:

noricum said...

Yeah. I think it was maybe my second year down here in NC, and there was an article that described a guy as wearing a toboggan! (Ow!) However, he was actually wearing a balaclava. Poor confused southerners!

I blame it on the fact that they don't get any cold weather down here. ;)