Saturday, December 04, 2004

Stereotypes & burned bread

Argh, I hate stereotypes. I got this in an e-mail from a friend today:

"BTW, I think you could definitely present yourself better, too. I say this as a friend. I think you should grow your hair a little longer and perhaps wear women's shorts. Garner told me that he'd guess you were a lesbian (!) if I hadn't told him otherwise. I'm sorry for the brutal honesty, but better from a friend than from someone else, right?"

I think she probably mentioned it because I was complaining the other day about how I hadn't had a date in about 5 years.

About me: I don't wear makeup, I'm blonde, I currently have my hair cut short, and I tend to wear somewhat unisex clothing. I am not a lesbian, although I have nothing against other people choosing to be lesbians. I don't particularly like it when people think I'm a lesbian, but I really don't like it when people think I'm a "dumb blonde", or when creeps hit on me. The former tends to happen when I have short hair, and the latter two tend to happen when I have long hair. I can't wear makeup because I'm allergic to it, and I tend to wear "jeans and a t-shirt", because it's cheaper and easier than trying to be in style all the time. (I don't normally wear guys shorts, but recently I've been having problems finding womens shorts that fit me and that have pockets... so I bought some guys shorts and "fixed" the waist with a belt.)

*Why* does short hair equal lesbian? I've met lesbians with long hair!

*Why* does blonde and female equal stupid!?! I'm not, and I don't like people treating me like I am!

Aaaaaaargh!

I figure having short hair makes better first impressions at conferences, etc, and if a guy actually does like me, I'll know it's me he likes, and not just superficial looks. *sigh*

I needed a rant to get that out of my system... it's not out yet, but this has helped a bit.

The other frustrating thing tonight: I baked pita bread, but a piece fell onto the element, and now the whole house smells like smoke. :P (I guess I made the dough a bit too soft.)

On the upside, I got my laundry finished early enough that my bed is made already (grump again about the comforter), so I won't be slogging my way through making my bed at 2am. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I currently have a boyfriend, I know exactly what you mean about the whole lesbian thing. People are even surprised when I say that I even have a boyfriend.

I don't wear make-up and my clothes are getting progressively more stylish (more of a classic style, because I'm too cheap and too picky to always stay in fashion), but the lesbian-thing is just plain annoying.

j in germany

noricum said...

Yeah, I'm slowly working on the clothes, but I've got an almost zero clothing budget. I'm trying to make the sweaters I crochet a bit stylish. I'm hoping the turtleneck raglan one will be a bit form fitting, hopefully without emphasizing the size of my butt. ;)

Hmmm... I wonder what my wacky crocheted socks say about me? ;)