Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Temari Balls

Temari Balls
Temari Balls

These are temari balls. I learned how to make them when I was out at UBC, because a friend there wanted to learn, and was having trouble learning from a book.

I had previously finished the one on the upper left, but the rest were in intermediate stages, sitting in a plastic bag on my bookshelf. Since I'm dealing with stuff on my bookshelf, I decided to finish them off so I could put them "away away", rather than "ufo away." Last night I finished up the two on the right (the top right only needed a few more rounds, and the bottom right was about halfway done). The bottom left one needs a few more leaves.

I have two more, one that is still in "sock" stage, and one that is in "yarn wrapped sock" stage. I might take the "yarn wrapped sock" one to completion, but the one that's simply a rolled sock I'll probably toss.

When these are finished, I'll be adding them to my Christmas ornament collection. They're meant to be children's balls, but I don't want to see them get ratty. I don't need more "everyday decorations" collecting dust, and I think they'll be pretty on a tree.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - those are seriously gorgeous!

noricum said...

You start with a rolled up sock, wrap it firmly with yarn, then with matching sewing thread, then add the guide threads (#5 embroidery floss, I think), and then finally the decorative threads (#5 embroidery floss, I think).

Becky said...

Beautiful!! Now That took some time!!

Anonymous said...

They are just beautiful!!!

LG said...

OMG!!! I´m reading how you made them! I can´t believe you start with a rolled sock! It must be such a work... they are pieces of art! Great!