Thursday, July 20, 2006

Project Planning

Starting this weekend I'll be travelling again. First up to the cabin near Flin Flon, then New York (via Indiana and Philadelphia), Montreal, Kingston (for CCCG), southern Ontario, Montreal, New York... then the plans get vague. (At some point I'll end up back in Winnipeg, but not for quite a while.)

Obviously I need to pack knit and crochet projects. (Think of all that car & conference time!)

We will be travelling by Mini, and I will need everything for the lake, a conference, a wedding, work, and who knows what else. J also has stuff in the Mini, and will also be moving some belongings from Montreal to New York. I'm guessing space will be at a premium.

I'm thinking I'll be limiting myself to sock yarn, and not much else: packs small, and high stitches to volume ratio.

In case I run out, what are your favourite yarn stores in Montreal and New York? (I've already been to Purl in New York, and am thinking of visiting School Products on an upcoming visit, but it's good to have a list of suggestions.)

So, socks are on the menu. But variety is also good. And what to do with those little balls of leftover sock yarn? Well, the other day I was catching up with my Yarn Harlot blog reading, and found this post. Perfect! A mitered square blanket made out of sock yarn leftovers! I left a comment at Shelly's blog, asking if she was interested in trading half of each of my balls for some of the yarn she's getting in (the Yarn Harlot put out a call to bury her house in sock yarn leftovers... you *know* she'll be getting tons!), and here's the response I got:
Hi, I'm really excited that you want to make a blanket. Why don't you just keep every single drop of yarn that you have, and I'll send you some of what I get. It's going to be a ton and a half. I'm going to wait about a month till I've received the bulk of what's coming so people can see the giant pile, then start sending it out. My other motivation here is that I've got my hands full dealing with incoming, and don't have time to deal with outgoing at the moment. I'm going to give preferential treatment to people who have already started the project and/or are willing to post pictures either on their blog or maybe in a flickr group. I want all the people who sent me yarn to really feel like their cast offs are being put to good use.
Cool! Not only will I have a way to rampage through my stash of leftover balls, but I'll get more leftovers! (I had sort of been toying with a similar idea for a while, but had been putting it off due to the fact that I had nowhere near enough.)

I'll likely break the blanket up into, say, 12" clusters, then sew those together at the end. That way I don't have to lug a whole blanket around a conference. ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, I suggest taking what you can fit under the seat of your car. That is where I usually keep my projects so when I am bored I reach under the seat and pull it out. Unless of course a mini doesn't have under the seat space...then that would just be silly and pointless.

Also, if you are travelling to yarn stores you could always just pack one project for when you get there and then pick up new project yarn while there.

Have a fun trip. It sounds exciting. I use to go on lots of road trips when I was in college. I miss those.

Anonymous said...

Wow, knitting a blanket out of sock yarn is going to take a long time. :-)

Someone on the LJ knitting community just put up a post asking for yarn store suggests in NYC this morning. It might be worth checking out.

Jewels said...

That is very cool, making a blanket of sock yarn mixmash of leftovers. Now THAT will be comfy to snuggle under.
Have fun on your lake trip and conference travels.

Anonymous said...

wendy (of wendy knits) is making a log cabin blanket out of sock yarn leftovers. it looks cool, too! i love mitered squares though. :)

I have some sock yarn leftovers (as always! I keep finding more! the most recent set I found in a bag of fabric scraps?!) that I would be willing to send ya, if you like. :)

noricum said...

Thanks for letting me know about Wendy's blanket... hers was one of the blogs I cut from bloglines. :(

Of course I'll gladly accept any sock yarn scraps that people want to be rid of. :)

noricum said...

Wendy: I do plan to visit yarn stores in New York and Montreal as necessary, but I feel I should also use from my stash (given my current financial situation... basically broke), and I'm pretty sure there's no yarn stores in Flin Flon, MB. Except Walmart, or other acrylic-peddling places. Since I'll likely want to keep whatever projects I finish, final packed size matters too. ;)

Lucy said...

Have a fun trip...and I just want to say I LOVE those yellow and blue socks!!!!