Thursday, July 13, 2006

Catching Up

Yup, I'm still being a bad blogger. Life is too much fun lately, and I've been getting work done too. (Both are good things for me, but bad for the blog!)

Okie doke... here's what's been happening lately.

Sunday mom, B, J, and I biked over to BDI (the Bridge Drive-In, a local landmark-type place) for some ice cream. It took us almost an hour to bike there, but we weren't riding terribly hard. I had a hot fudge sundae... mmmmm....
Bike Ride
On the way back we stopped in at the Forks, a local-touristy style place where the Red and Assiniboine Rivers meet. We wandered around the shops, then continued home. While at the Forks we also saw a bunch of old cars, including some original minis:
Bike Ride

Monday after work we spent a bunch of time searching for reasonably priced basil for pesto for dinner... everywhere we tried was either out, closed, or expensive. I ended up cooking for J instead of him cooking for me. I used a stir-fry recipe a friend from Taiwan taught me several years ago. I find her write-up of the recipe amusing:
Recipe
Luckily I remembered well enough that what resulted was quite tasty. ;) (I should probably write a better description of the whole process down at some point.)

Tuesday mom found decently-priced basil, so we had pasta with pesto sauce that night.

Wednesday J and I stayed home from university, since I had a doctor appointment in the middle of the day in the opposite end of the city. I just needed to get a bunch of prescriptions refilled.

In the evening we went to McNally Robinson, and J bought a really amazing Italian cookbook, The Silver Spoon. It's apparently been a bestseller in Italy for over 50 years, and was only translated into English recently. It looks *really* good. (We'll be cooking a recipe from it tonight. Well, J will... I'll be sous-chef again, if anything.)

After McNally Robinson, J and I went to J's friend's house for dinner. Dinner was *great*. Mmmmm! J had even told them about my allergy webpage, so I could even eat everything. ;) We also got to swim in their pool. I discovered two things last night:
1. fresh, ripe pinapple is *delicious*!
2. I'm allergic to fresh, ripe pinapple.
(However my allergy only manifested in a burning tongue, so I ate lots anyway.)

This morning we're finally getting some rain. It's been so hot and dry, we really need it. However, it's a fairly light rain, so it probably won't help out the farmers and forest fires all that much. But then, there's also no lightning to start new fires, and it looks to be hanging around for a while... so maybe it'll be good enough.

One of J's students went home for a visit recently after being away for a long time. She's from Lebanon. Lebanon and Israel just started fighting again. We hope she'll be okay, and will be able to get back. (They've bombed the airport runways, and she needs new paperwork... if the embassies close, she'll have more trouble.)

I've started the second sock of the pair I'm currently working on. They're fun looking! (No time to take and post a photo now... I'm off to lift weights again.)

This morning I noticed my pajamas weren't as snug, and the scale said I weighed a pound less. Since Aunt Flo is also visiting right now, I'm thinking that must be some real weight lost. :) (I'm probably holding some water.) Yay! I'll weigh myself again later this week, to see if the scale still says the same thing.

Well, I'm off to lift weights.

4 comments:

Deneen said...

Good for you and having fun! Being home and J seems to agree with you

Anonymous said...

woohoo! sounds like fun. :)

that's a great cookbook, btw. my maternal grandmother has a copy of it in Italian, and my mom just picked up the translated version!

[I'm allergic to fresh pineapple and pineapple juice (but I don't have problems with dried). I love it, but my mouth swells. :( ]

Anonymous said...

I could see you being allergic to pineapple. My mom has a tongue/allergy thing too and she can't eat pineapple, either.

That is great you are having so much fun with J. I am looking at his bike though and it looks like he has to pedal twice as much to get anywhere.

noricum said...

Wendy: I think he does have to pedal more. However, the bike is cute... it folds up into an itty-bitty package. :) (Around the size of a piece of carry-on luggage.)