Thursday, October 20, 2005

Random Babblings

I finally wrote up my crocheted version of Sophie for Deneen. I typed it up while sitting in front of the TV. Since the news is on, I'll blog about my opinions on some of headlines.

antibacterial soap
Surprise! Antibacterial soap doesn't actually work any better than regular soap (which washes the germs down the drain), and may create stronger germs. Gee, really? We've known that for years up in Canada. I try to avoid using antibacterial soap. I don't want to be the creator of any super-bugs.

Pakistan
They were interviewing one guy who dug his daughter out of a collapsed building, then carried her for two days to get her medical help. It took long enough to dig her out and get her there that gangrene had set in, and part of her foot had to be amputated. His response? His family would have been been better off dead, because the girl couldn't stand the pain, and it would be hard to find her a husband. Um, *excuse me*?!? Yes, I'm sure she's in pain, but that will end. And anybody who can't handle the minor deformities isn't worthy of being a husband. Sheesh. Yes, she probably won't be an olympic sprinter, but she still has functional feet! And unless she gets addicted to pain medications (which can also be dealt with), there's nothing wrong with her mind. (Unless, of course, there were problems before.) Stupid prejudices. Better off dead. Blargh!

hurricanes
The hurricanes have reached Wilma. That reminds me of when I was a kid, and wondered what would happen if they got to the end of the alphabet. I was told that they normally didn't end up using more than half the alphabet. Well, they've used up the alphabet now. (Especially since they skipped several letters.)

Okay... that's all the news I feel like blogging about tonight.

On the crochet/knitting front, I have no new news on knitting, but last night (or was it the night before?) I finished the green crayon. Just the purple one left, then lettering and seaming! :) I may end up using grey yarn for the lettering... I had very little green left for lettering, and I'd like the style to be consistent.

Speaking of the crayons, I e-mailed Kim at Crochet Me about whether or not posting photos of the blanket in progress meant that I couldn't submit my design. I haven't heard back. Should I assume I still have a chance and stop posting photos, or that I've messed up my chance, and can continue posting photos?

Oh well... I'll still have something I want to submit. I want to create a bag design (I think it'll be original enough to warrant yet another bag) and submit it. I'll just have to keep quiet and not post photos of my progress. ;)

Speaking of progress photos, LadyLinoleum are having a little swap... I'm trading her a pair of socks for one of her adorable chicken nuggets! Very cool!! And, since she likes chickens, I have a little chicken sock idea I want to try out... *grin*

Silly Entertainment Rumour show is on now. :P You know, I think one reason celebrity marriages tend not to work is that celebrities are people too... like normal people, they fall in love with the characters actors play, and for some reason, real life isn't like that. ;) There are several movie characters I love, but I know that I would never get along with the real life actors.

Oooo... Katie Holmes is learning how to knit. Like I really needed to know that. Speaking of Katie and Tom, MI3 is another movie I refuse to watch. MI1 wasn't too bad, but MI2 was *so* incredibly sexist that I refuse to watch any more of them. (Plus I don't like Tom as a person... he's a good actor, but a twit in real life.) That whole "I slept with her first so she'll do what I say" thing was complete crap. Yeah, like we don't have brains. I thought it was men that were supposed to think with their "other brain"... I think the script writer must have been.

OMG... now that there's been "bennifer", they're concatinating every couple's names! Sheesh. Now they're trying to figure out how to concatinate Jennifer and Vince. :P

You know, the 7-8 time slot is when I really wish I had cable. There must be some neat neat nature show, home show, documentary, or *anything* else on all those channels I don't get. I could turn the TV off, but it keeps me company.

Hmmm... this post has gotten long. I'll stop now. ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently, when they run out of letters, they start in with the Greek alphabet -- Hurricane Alpha, Hurricane Beta, etc.

Anonymous said...

I've known that about the antibacterial soap, too. A few arguments with DH about it. :)

Did you say how you are going to do the lettering? I forget :(

Joy said...

I was one of those people that thought antibacterial soap was a good idea!

And, I just have to add that my Canadian friend/coworker informed me several years ago that it didn't do diddly for germs! ;)

noricum said...

Yeah... they've been talking about the greek alphabet naming around here. Did they make that decision recently, or was it always the fallback plan?

For the lettering, I'm doing a chain with slip stitches in the back. Lettering will start soon... I'm 2/3rds of the way through the last crayon!

KelliAmanda said...

Oh - you can't forget the media name for TomKat's baby: TomKitten. Sick sick sick.

We did an experiment in my microbiology class comparing the effects of (a) antibacterial soap, (b) antibacterial (alcohol-based) hand sanitizer, (c) a followed by b, and (d) plain old soap and water. Effectiveness in reducing the amount of bacteria on human skin was similar among all of them.

I must admit to carrying around alcohol-based hand sanitizer gel in my purse since then, for times when there is no soap and water available. But I always choose regular soap and water over antibacterial soap or sanitizer.

noricum said...

Ewwww! You know... I do *not* want to know what Tom and Katie decide to call their spawn. :P

Thanks for the hurricane info! :)

LadyLinoleum said...

I am sending you feet measurements this weekend. I cannot wait to see what you're clucking up...