Friday, January 21, 2005

Progress

Wheee... faculty lunch was cancelled today, so Kelli and I got to go for our walk. :)) (Kelli sometimes has to attend faculty lunch.)

I sort of learned a new skill today. Something that's really important in my dissertation area, but up until now I haven't had a clue of how to do. What is this amazing new skill? Seeing stereo. Biologists have all these nifty diagrams, where they draw a 3D object from slightly different views, and if you cross your eyes (or something) the right way, you can actually see the thing as if it were 3D. It's a similar principle to those "magic" 3D paintings I've never been able to see anything in either. Anyway, today I actually got my eyes to focus so that the two images overlapped. However, the image was so blurry, all I could see was a big, gray blob. But it was one blob, rather than two. It was a flat blob, but maybe that's just because it was blurry. Maybe there's hope for me yet. Probably not, though.

Oh, and while I remember, I want to rant about one of my pet peeves. It's about how everyone keeps saying "heart", as in "I heart fill_in_the_blank". I think it's due to the movie, I Love Huckabees, written with a heart symbol for the word "love". We used the heart symbol all the time as a kid, but we pronounced it "love", which is what the heart was representing! All this ungrammatical "hearting" of stuff is driving me nuts... like someone scratching their fingernails down a chalkboard. *shudder* I hope this fad passes quickly. Or that people figure out how to get the actual heart character to show when typing, so that I can read it as "love", like it's supposed to be! Rant over. (For now.)

5 comments:

Daph said...

Uh oh. I'm guilty of "hearting" stuff! I met a girl once that said it in actual conversation, and I thought it was really weird, but then it kind of grew on me. I can see how it would be one of those things that makes your roll your eyes when you see it, though... :)

noricum said...

Daphne... I've forgiven your use, although only because you use other way more fun terms too, to make up for it. ;)

Jewels said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jewels said...

hahaaa....actually laughing out loud..too funny. We live in a world of acronyms and slaughtering the english language to sound cool??
*3 <--does that look like a side heart at all? maybe in another font
The one that makes me cringe is "peeps"....ewwwwwh that bugs me for some unknown reason

noricum said...

Hey Jewel, I started posting a comment reply, but then moved it to a real post, to appear shortly. ;)

"Peeps" doesn't really bother me, but I understand. With all my heart. ;)