Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Flock of Robins

One of those strange sights I see way down here, but never see up in Winnipeg, is robins flocking. In Winnipeg, we only get robins in the summer. In the summer, they're way too busy raising offspring to flock. Apparently when winter arrives, robins don't simply wink out of existance, they actually fly down to NC (and I assume other southern locations) and engage in flocking behaviour. Anyway, I saw a huge flock of them today. The vast majority were hanging out in what I seem to recall being a pin oak, but could be wrong. (Even though I live in the balmy south, not all the trees have leaves in the winter.) I was wondering what they found so fascinating about that pin oak, when I noticed a nearby holly was also filled with robins. Given that the holly was considerably smaller, there wasn't enough room for everyone. So they'd hang out in the holly eating berries until they were stuffed, then fly back to the pin oak to let the next bunch have a go. (They seemed to make the short journey in groups of about a dozen.) After marvelling at the number of robins on my way past, I noticed that the pin oak was a very bad tree to stand under. It was "raining" under the pin oak. Thankfully I noticed before I accidentally walked under it. (Note: it wasn't "raining" anywhere else.)

I just thought I'd share this entertaining event with everyone else out there in blogland who is hogging all my snow. (I'll trade you robin rain for snow...?)

I started a pair of Lang Jawoll cotton socks for Bob on the bus over to Duke and back. I think my gague is loosening, because they seem much wider than usual. I guess I'll get to frog back about an inch, and lose a few increases. I'll save that for SNB tonight. :) And, since tonight is SNB at Fosters Market, I'm treating myself to dinner out. Someone last time had their four cheese pizza, which looked really good. Plus, it's hard to make it home, cook & eat dinner, then make it over to Fosters for 7 by bus. I was originally planning on going straight there after my Duke meeting, but then remembered I had forgotten to set Gilmore Girls to record. (Yes, I'm a WB teenage drama addict... but not all of them.) Now I have another half hour to kill before the G bus goes past my place, so I think I'll browse the blogs.

1 comment:

Jewels said...

I'd gladly be wallowing under a tree with robin rain any day right now....winter is winning in my spirit war dammmit, I want some warmth and dry roads to drive on!! I'm out by Lockport so drive in to the city every day, so it's the highway drivin in the dark that's gettin' to me. Robin rain, robin rain, I want to see the robins again :)