Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Blackened Cookies

I baked cajun cookies tonight... or something. They were supposed to be chocolate chip gingerbread cookies. Although the tops look yummy, some of the bottoms are less than appetizing:


I tossed a load in the wash this morning, and added my swatches, just for fun. Then tonight, I finished my project bag. I decided to do a vinegar fulling, rather than with detergent, so added the bag, swatches, potholders, and two pairs of sneakers to a hot water wash with vinegar. The swatches are now thoroughly fulled:

(Well, except for the small one, which still doesn't look super-fulled, but is okay.)

I forgot to take a "before" photo of the project bag. (Oops. Oh well.) The bag portion did well during the fulling, but the strap got rather stretched... what once held the bag around waist level, now lets the bag dangle down by my ankles. Lesson: always put fulling projects in a pillowcase or laundry bag, even if there are no lint-producing towels in the wash. (Oops... oh well.) I stuck it back in the wash (in a laundry bag this time), and added my whites (this morning was the dark load) and detergent. I think I'll go burn some more cookies, while I wait for that wash to finish.

Jewels: That's neat! I should have guessed, given your profile says you're learning calculus. :) Are you a student? (Grad or undergrad?) U of M? I did my undergrad at U of M, in computer science. :) (And I plan on coming back as a professor, assuming I manage this whole dissertation thingy. :P ) I even TA'd a first year calculus course. We should get together next time I'm in town... I'll likely be visiting (or something) the CS department.

Oh... back to burning cookies... I'm wasting all that hot air in the oven!

3 comments:

Daph said...

That's how my cookies look EVERY TIME! lol I guess they really mean it when they say 8 minutes. I like that "cajun" thing, though, I think I'm gonna have to use that! "Here's your cajun cookies" or "Have some cajun grilled cheese!"

noricum said...

I think my problem was that the bottom oven rack was too low. It smelled like something was burning, but when I went to check, the tops looked fine, so I assumed my oven was just dirty. After that first batch, I moved the oven racks higher, and turned the oven down somewhat. The rest came out better, if perhaps somewhat underdone. (But then, who doesn't like gooey cookies?)

Jewels said...

LOL....I'm assistant to the Math, Statistics and Economic department at UW. Been there over 5 years now, it's my dream job!! Always had a love of math, and unfortunately didn't do more with it, but I absolutely love working with the Mathematicians. Between the 3 departments I have my hands full, all the profs are awesome to work with. I'm like a kid in a candy store, surrounded by math texts,....what a geek eh? hehe