Sunday, December 10, 2006

Declarations

1. These socks are dead:
Dead Socks
Although nowhere has the yarn actually broken, they aren't doing their job when I can feel the cold floor through them. This is my first pair of dead socks since I started making them two and a half years ago!

2. Mary Janes are *done*:
Mary Jane Booties
...well, except for buttons, and a severe blocking to deal with the curl. This brings me down to 7 WIPs. :)

3. It's time to put up the Christmas decorations:
Christmas Ornaments
I have five shoeboxes of decorations? I thought I only had four!

I don't feel like wrestling with the artificial tree myself, so I'll be hanging these from my houseplants. I need to trim the dead branches off my ficus (it didn't like the care it was getting while I was away) before I hang them, though. I also wanted to give them some time to warm up from being in the garage.

I'll be having a Christmas ficus and a Christmas rubber tree.

I pretty much didn't get any errands run today... although I did shovel the snow off the walk (sorry to all you Winnipeggers who'll have to shovel again because Murphy decides it's time to snow again), bring the ornaments in, reset the wood that's protecting the basement windows, put out a fresh block of birdseed, and had a serious look at the garage door remote. (I think setting the remote will involve a stepladder, and I'll wait until it's light to play with it.)

I didn't get to Ram Wools to pick up the dpns I need for toques (both mine and gifts)... do I go to Michaels tomorrow, or do I try to go to Ram Wools during the week? I think I get home early enough that I could make a quick trip.

I didn't go to an Asian food store in search of dashi and soba noodles. Or to the Liquor Commission to look for mirin. I wonder if those places will be open on a Sunday?

I didn't go grocery shopping. I don't need much, but those things I'm out of, I'd rather not do without. I'll have to go tomorrow (Sunday).

I didn't work on the gingerbread houses.

I *did* do my laundry... although it's still all waiting to be folded and put away. (And for the bed to be made.)

I'm tired... I suppose I should make the bed and go to sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those Mary Janes are awesome!

Anonymous said...

does anything with alcohol content get sold at the liquor commission? I ask only because even in US states where alcohol is sold ONLY at the state beer/wine/liquor store, I can usually get mirin at the Asian grocery store. :)

Love the mary janes! and wow, you finally wore through a pair of socks! that's amazing. :)

noricum said...

Thanks!

The only stuff sold in the grocery stores is *very* low alcohol content, or is the cooking wine with salt added. It could be that my regular grocery store just didn't stock it... I found rice vinegar, but not rice wine. I'm going to try the Asian grocery store first.