Friday, January 06, 2006

Temptation

Background: I love my Weasley. When I was at the Forks last week, I saw a similar style sweater that was red with a white maple leaf. I thought it would be really cool to knit another Weasley with the red/white leaf design. I particularly wanted the red to be softly variegated, or perhaps noro-striped. Noro doesn't quite have what I want (and is *expensive*), so I was thinking Manos might be good. Then, last night I saw some MalAbrigo on the Crazy for Knitting Flickr group. That brand sounded familiar, and looked enticing, so I googled it.

Big mistake.

I found it on sale... but the sale ends January 10th. Plus, MalAbrigo has great reviews (here and here), and is more economical than Manos.

Plus, the place with the sale has free shipping in the US.

Nooooo!

At this price, the sweater will cost me $60-70, depending on whether I get an extra "just in case" ball. (Which I probably should.) That's a good price for a yarn with such dreamy reviews, and one with the subtle variegation that I want. (MalAbrigo is kettle dyed.)

Now, normally a sale *with* free shipping would be a good thing. But not this term... the term of no funding. The term I promised to be really frugal.

Do I, or don't I?

Hmmm... I wonder... mom was asking me the other day what I wanted for my birthday... I wonder what her price range is? Maybe both she and dad will chip in? (Yeah, my birthday isn't until February... but that's not *that* far away... and my dad forgot and thought my birthday was January one year.)

PS: I'll tell you where the sale is *after* I either order, or decide not to. I don't want them to be out of stock. ;) (Of course, you'll probably find it if you google it. Please leave me 5-6 hanks of "valentine" and one hank of natural cloud white...)

Update: Mom said she'll buy it for my birthday! Yay!

Update #2: It appears they're out of stock. If you're interested in other items, the online store is Yarnia, and the sale runs to January 10. All yarns are 20% or more off. I have no opinions on them, since I haven't actually ordered from them (yet).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a cute sweater! :)

heh! I just got a bunch of malabrigo for myself... in the not-so-bulky bulky, not the worsted weight. I got it at handpaintedyarn.com -- they were originally the only place to get malabrigo, but now they aren't carrying the worsted weight (because LYSes are carrying it). They have the 6 ply merino bulky and laceweight and oh! so many pretty yarns. hrmph. :)

[I'm stashbusting, not buying anything, so I won't swipe the yarn from under ya! ;)

http://www.fiberfetishist.com/blog/2005/12/29/
]

noricum said...

Ah, thanks. I was wondering if handpaintedyarn.com was going to restock... it said it was out of stock and planned to, but I wasn't totally sure, given that LYSs were stocking it now. I thought maybe the LYSs were maybe buying all their stock. ;)

Unfortunately, this means that this sale is an even better deal, since I won't have handpaintedyarn.com to fall back on...

KelliAmanda said...

It's official. You have an addiction. You're doing the "bargaining" thing right now... tee hee. That's a sign of a real problem. Do you need an intervention? ;-)

noricum said...

Hey! I did go to Ram Wools and not buy any yarn! (Yes, I bought hooks, but only those I had planned and budgeted for getting.) ;)

Deneen said...

If you are going to wear the sweater and really want the better yarn, then do it. It would be ashame to go through all that work and it not be what you wanted. So yes, I am telling you to buy the damn yarn!

I have turned into a yarn snob, but I'm still not as bad as you :p.

Anonymous said...

if you calculate the cost at webs minus the discount, it's about the same price, i think... not sure if they have the same shades though.

so sorry they are out of stock :(