Monday, January 16, 2006

Albert

Albert
Albert

Gah! Some pet owners really irritate me.

Meet Albert. I met Albert today as I left my house to go grocery shopping. He cried at me, and then plopped his furry little butt down on my front steps.

This did not strike me as "outside cat" behaviour.

It struck me as "lost cat" behaviour.

So, being the softie I am, I told Albert to wait a second, and went in for a bit of string to use as a leash. (String, I thought to myself... what can I use as string...? Halfway through unlacing my shoe, I realize I have a house full of yarn.) I select a nice sturdy heatherd purple wool, and cut off about two yards worth.

I tied the yarn to Albert's harness, and proceed to walk him home.

Halfway there, he decides he doesn't want to walk any more. Well, I wasn't giving up when I was halfway there. So I pick the cat up.

Note: I have severe cat allergies, and am wearing my handwash-only Weasley sweater.

I Albert to his house, and there is a sign on the door that says "Please do not let Albert out of the house." (That says "not an outdoor cat" to me... how about you?) There is a dry water dish by the door. No one answers when I knock.

I tie Albert to the railing, and then go to get my groceries, stopping off at the front office first to let them know about Albert and his predicament, and to wash my hands. A sign greets me at the front office, saying they're closed for MLK day. I go grocery shopping.

When I get to the grocery store, I discover they now have sanitizing wipes to clean off cart handles. I use them on my cat hands.

Five minutes later the welts start.

I get the store manager to tell me where the washrooms are, and then wash my hands and face. The welts don't go away, but they stop getting worse.

After grocery shopping, I call Albert's house to see if someone is home. No answer.

I walk over to Albert's house to put some water in his dish.

Albert isn't there. The ragged break in the yarn indicates he pulled himself loose.

I put water in the dish anyway, and walk home.

When I was nearly home, Albert finds me again, and starts crying. He then follows me home. *sigh*

This time I fetched some *twine*, and tied him to my back steps. I set out some water for him, then called his house again.

This time I listened to the message, planning on leaving my own. It gives me two cell numbers to try. I call the first, and get Albert's "mom," Janet.

Janet comes to pick up Albert. While she's here, she said that he is, in fact, an outdoor cat (how was I supposed to know), and that she would have preferred that I left him loose than tying him to her steps. What if she hadn't come home?

Hell, I *hadn't* abandoned him... I did go back to check and bring him water as soon as I was finished grocery shopping! Sheesh! *And* you live facing a busy highway. *And* our apartment complex has a rule against letting your pets out alone.

Sheesh. Stoopid pet owner. Grumble.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

More corroboration for my theory that cats seek out the people who are most allergic to cats.

Our cats all love G's dad (except L, who doesn't come out of my closet when visitors are around). And he's very allergic.

Albert's very cute, though. I hope the welts go away soon.

H

KelliAmanda said...

We have an outdoor cat in our complex who is very friendly, but apparently the owners had trouble with folks returning him so they made a new tag for his collar that says "Aires (outdoor)" above the phone number.

Still, it bugs me. He's a friendly cat, but I have no way of knowing if he's vaccinated or not, I suspect he's a bird killer (as are most outdoor cats) and I think he's at risk with the traffic around the apartment complex. Having an outdoor cat when you live in the country is one thing, but an outdoor cat in town is not a good idea IMO.

Hope your welts get better soon. My goodness. You should call that lady and tell her to have his tag changed to read outdoor cat if she wants him to live outside.

noricum said...

Thanks! Welts are long gone, and Weasley is drying after being washed. (Grrr... and it didn't need washing yet!)

MrsFife said...

Awwww poor thing...Albert, I mean.
I'm allergic to cats, but only with sneezing. I don't usually break out in welts, thank you, but I love cats, so being allergic is almost as bad *sniff*.

PS. I hope your welts die down fast.

noricum said...

Thanks.

She did sort of thank me, but also gave the impression I needn't have bothered. :P