Sunday, January 22, 2006

Muppet Gestation

Muppet Bag in Progress
Muppet Bag in Progress

The pieces are ready for felting. :)

Oh... I will probably be too lazy to write up the pattern, so here's basically what I've done so far:
• knit the Sophie bag bottom out of Patons Classic Wool
• attach fun fur
• knit Sophie bag sides, holding both strands together
• two rows before the end, fasten off fun fur, then knit the last two rows with just the Patons Classic Wool
• bind off all stitches, marking the middle of each short side with a non-felting yarn (to be cut out after felting)

The bag portion took nearly all the Patons, plus a bit more than two balls of fun fur.

The tongue and handle are KnitPicks Wool of the Andes (what I happened to have lying around). The tongue is 10 sc wide, the strap is 6 sc wide. At the end of the tongue I split into two 5 sc wide portions to make a buttonhole, and then rejoined. After rejoining, I decreased by one stitch on each side on each row for 3 rows.

When the strap was long enough, I added "hands" at each end by dc 6 times in the center sc, joining at the other side, then making a thumb and fingers using chains and sc back along each chain. (sl st to join at the base of each finger.)

Enjoy, and feel free to ask me any questions. Sorry I'm not a pattern-writer. ;)

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished muppet. Your instructions here are great.

noricum said...

Thanks. ;) They're more like "guidelines" than instructions, but I imagine experienced crocheters will get the idea.