Monday, July 02, 2012

Bathroom Update

Well, I didn't get as far as removing the remains of the old caulking, but I did get the bathroom walls and ceiling washed. (First with soapy water then clean water, both with a mop, then with borax water by hand with a rag.)

The photos don't really show the mildew, so I'll just post one before shot:
IMG_6127
You'll have to take my word that it's covered in mildew.

Here's another reason why the tub needs replacing:
IMG_6132
Whenever I look at that, I wonder who was shedding all over the edge of the tub. However, for some reason, the tub has bubbled there, and the black lines are cracks. (If you're redoing damaged wallboard and replacing the surround anyway, that's the time to do the tub too, if it needs it. It needs it.)

Dad thought I should keep the shower doors. Ew:
IMG_6134
(And that doesn't show the mildew on the other side!)

Goodbye, shower doors!
IMG_6136
Yeah, they haven't left completely yet... I need to work slowly with father. For example, with the doors, it went something like this:

Stage one: introduce the idea.
Me: I want to take down the shower doors, and use a shower curtain.
Dad: They're good quality shower doors, they're the same as the ones I put in my new house.
Me: They're mildewy and corroded.
Dad: You can clean the corrosion off with an SOS pad.
Me: (changes the subject.)

Stage two: give the idea time to sink in.

Stage three: state the idea more strongly.
Me: I want to take down the shower doors, and use a shower curtain.
Dad: They're good quality shower doors, they're the same as the ones I put in my new house.
Me: They're mildewy and corroded.
Dad: You can clean the corrosion off with an SOS pad.
Me: Dad, I *WANT* to use a shower curtain. I can put them somewhere for now in case I change my mind.
Dad: okay

Step four: remove the doors. (A bunch of rusted ball bearings fell out... no wonder they weren't sliding any more!)

Step five (not yet): dispose of the doors.

After washing (etc) the walls:
IMG_6137
Again, you'll have to take my word for it... they're better. Not perfect, but better.

Maybe I'll manage the caulk tomorrow evening.

(The shower afterward was soooooo nice!)

Also accomplished today:
• emptied out a laundry basket full of misc food into cupboards.
• shifted the last few items out of two boxes which are now labelled "dad" and "thrift store".

It's nowhere near the list of things I was hoping to get done today, but it's better than nothing.

No comments: