Thursday, January 18, 2007

Needle Sizes

Needle Sizes
Needle Sizes

Heather's having some problems with needle sizes, so I thought I'd blog my gauges. (Click through to "all sizes" for a really big view.)

The bell gauge is kind of useless, but pretty. It's there for asthetic purposes. ;)

If you look closely, the Bates and Boye sizers list different mm equivalents for some of the sizes (like US #3, #6, #9, #10). I seem to recall hearing that different brands use slightly different sizing for their needles. Hmmm... another good reason to switch to metric!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AAAAHHHHH!! This is so confusing! Now we have the following sizes for #3: 3.0mm, 3 1/8mm, 3.25mm.

I am voting for the latter, since my #2 1/2 is 3.0mm. I've never seen a needle that specified that it was a 3 1/8mm.

Most gauges confirm that #2 is 2.75mm, but Mason Dixon's gauge said that #2 is 3.0mm. You are right, metric is best. I am never again paying attention to the other sizing. I suppose that I should also take EZ's gauge advice.