Wednesday, November 08, 2006

T-Shirts

Hrmmm... annoying. I just discovered that the seam on the sleeve hem on my t-shirt is unravelling. Given that I own too many t-shirts (defined as having trouble fitting them all in one drawer), now would be the perfect opportunity to decrease the number I own.

However, I'm travelling, and only brought "just enough"... defined as enough to last me between reasonable spaced out laundry days.

Hmmm... I'll have to see how the sleeve holds out. If the hem drops completely, I could tack it up with non-matching thread (light blue shirt, and the only thread I have is beige and light green... which is more than I usually travel with), or perhaps borrow a spare t-shirt from J. I'd rather not buy a replacement, since that doesn't solve the drawer problem.

This actually marks the second t-shirt that I have with me that is getting beyond it's useful life. The other has tiny holes in the armpits that I was considering sewing up when there was only one, but I think now there's several per pit.

Note to self: when travelling, either pack t-shirts that are in good condition, or pack enough to toss the ones that don't survive. The benefit of the second option is that I have more space in my luggage for things I aquire. I just need sufficient room for the t-shirts to begin with.

I suspect I'll be heading home with two fewer t-shirts than I started with.

The other annoying thing is that it's always "favourite" t-shirts that are the ones wearing out. Yes, I know that's because I wear them more, but it's still annoying.

My goal is to not buy any more t-shirts until I've worn out several of the "not favourite" variety. I suppose I should start wearing those. Too bad I didn't pack any for this trip. After all, why pack things you don't want to wear when you have limited luggage space?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call me a pack rat (because I am) but as VERY favorite t-shirts wear out, I tend to retire them but keep them as keepsakes.

It semi-solves the drawer space problem because I no longer keep retired t-shirts in the drawer, I stash them in another storage area.

I also have WAY too many t-shirts, and the problem is I still sort of need more. Since I got a lot of them I realized my former housemate was right -- I look better in t-shirts that actually fit me. I've been buying XL t-shirts for years and now even the ones with great designs I no longer like wearing because I feel like I'm wearing a tent.

Any thoughts about what to do with an awesome, almost-new gryphon t-shirt that I now consider too big to wear? (eBay or trying to shrink it in the dryer are two opbious possibilities. Matching wall hangings?)

Anonymous said...

Even more dangerous thought... I wonder how hard it would be to make a throw blanket of retired favorite t-shirts? I can't decide if that would be tacky or interesting.

noricum said...

Blogger was being a twit so I answered these by e-mail. Summary: I'm trying to be less of a pack rat, and have no space anyway. I suggested sewing machine for altering the t-shirts, and we decided the effort was likely more than they're worth. I had thought about making a blanket out of old t-shirts too.