Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I *AM* Cursed

I thought the curse was over, but I was wrong... it's only gotten worse!

My first date with J, he got a speeding ticket and a parking ticket. (Previously it had been a long time since he had gotten a ticket.)

My second date with J, he got an inspection ticket and a parking ticket. (I would like to point out that neither parking ticket was really his fault... both spots were basically unlabelled.)

My third date... no tickets! There was a flat tire, but I figured that was a different category, and thus was not the curse of me.

I drove my car to the doctor today, and then from there to the grocery store. Guess what I discovered while driving back from the grocery store?
Flat Tire
Hopefully the rim is okay. It was making strange noises and driving funny, but I thought that was just all the snow on the road from the bit of a blizzard we're having. (I figure I can count it as a blizzard, since at one point it was nearly white-out conditions while I was driving, and there's a *lot* of snow on the roads. I don't know it's official designation.) However, I decided to pull into a gas station just to make sure.

Lovely.

Mom and Bob have offered to buy me a new tire for Christmas. I guess this saves me from having to think of something else for them to get me, although I'm sure that wouldn't have been too hard. ;)

If nothing else, this car is a lesson in expense. Right after getting it I had the immobilizer installed ($$$). I drove it a few times, then parked it while J was here and then while I was visiting J. Then I paid to have insurance put on it the last time I was home ($$$$), put gas in the car ($$), and drove it a few more times. Today I drive it again, bought a snow scraper ($), and need a new tire ($$$). If this keeps up, I may be better off just taking a taxi everywhere. ;)

It is a really cool snow scraper, though. It has a telescoping handle, a brush, a scraper, and even a squeegee. Works pretty good too. With all this snow, I've used it twice already. (Once after leaving the grocery store where I bought it, and then again leaving the gas station after putting the spare on.)

Oh, and I didn't actually change the tire myself. Although there was a spare, gloves, and a mini jack in the car, there didn't appear to be a tire iron. I called mom, and she sent B and my brother T with a bunch of tools. T was having fun, so I let him do the changing and driving home.

4 comments:

Deneen said...

Cars are an expense, but where I live, I couldn't be without one.

You're not cursed, just have bad CARma (that was bad, I know)

Anonymous said...

First, I wanted to say that the picture of the snowy houses reminds me of where I use to live in Missoula, MT years ago. Second, while living in Montana on a snowy night I thought I had a flat tire, but wasn't sure because of the same reason you did. It felt like the snow was pulling my car and it sounded like usual snow driving. When I got to my house I saw it was flat. It was on New Year's Eve. When I took it in to get new tires I found out that getting a flat tire is common in the snow. Apparantly a piece of ice punctured my tire.

New tires is a great Christmas present. They can be expensive, so think of all the money you are saving so that you can spend your own money on the stuff you love. :)

Lucy said...

And I thought I was looking forward to our first real snowfall! (I'm going to re-think this)

noricum said...

Bad, but good, Deneen. ;)

I forgot to ask what had caused the initial leak in the tire, or if they could tell. I suspect I had a nail or something that came out in the parking lot.

I'll get to the reason why I forgot to ask in my next post. wheeee. :P