Sunday, March 12, 2006

Seriously.

Seriously, folks, this is totally kicking someone while they're down. I knew it would happen eventually, but did it *have* to happen *now*?!?

They've discontinued the milk substitute I've been using since my mom's first ill-fated attempt at putting me on solid food. (Rice cereal with milk. Not a pretty sight.) I've *tried* switching to other soy milks... you know, the "grown-up" kind. I've even tried regular milk, since my allergy seems to have gone away. And for someone who hasn't been drinking that stuff since birth? It's pretty disgusting. Don't get me wrong... I *want* to like milk. Those milk commercials I saw as a kid sure make it look good. But it's not my milk substitute.

They didn't have any last week when I went grocery shopping. Not a problem... I keep extra on hand for when I don't manage to make my weekly trip. However, I had my last bowl of cereal this morning. I have *none* left. I tried the drugstore too, but they also didn't have it. Both the grocery store and the drug store have the version with "lipil"... but who knows what that will taste like. (Baby-formula-makers? *So* not interested in how the stuff tastes.) And I seriously don't need "easier to digest proteins" that cost a dollar more a can. Despite consuming formula, I'm a big girl. With a grown-up digestive system. That absorbs way too many calories as it is.

Now, to most people, not having milk wouldn't be a complete disaster. However, I can't leave the house without my bowl of cereal for breakfast. I bring this stuff with me when I travel, and eat in my room before joining other conference attendees at "breakfast." Even worse, a bowl of cereal is my *comfort* food. Something I've been relying on more recently, what with my depression acting up. Did this have to happen *NOW*?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Argh. Hopefully the "lipil" version won't taste like it's already passed through the baby. (That's how some formulas taste to me.)

Needless to say, I am *NOT* happy with this development. :P

It looks like I may be spending more on groceries... either by buying the "lipil" stuff, or by buying every single version of soy and/or rice milk in an attempt to find something I can choke down. (And then throwing out what I'm unable to make myself consume... that's the part that really bothers me.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could we send you some from Canada (assuming there's any here)?

H

fledchen said...

I drink Silk brand, but I'm not sure if you've tried that one or not.

noricum said...

I've tried that, and didn't like it.