Friday, March 17, 2006

Miscellany

Woo-hoo! Blogger is letting me see my blog again. :) (Something about a "filer" acting up... I'm in CS, and I have no idea what a filer is.)

I slept well last night, made it to school a bit earlier this morning, and then things went a bit downhill at lunch. I had a nap, then ate lunch, and then went to a talk. I didn't feel so good at the talk, and I still don't feel great. I'm not feeling bad, just a little queasy.

The talk resulted in lots of sock progress... I'd say Sallie's socks are about 20% done.

My snake scarf is nearly done. I think I'll finish it up tonight. :)

For some reason, I've been in a finishing mood. It started shortly before the knitting olympics, when I wanted to "clear my plate" for olympic knitting. These days I'm all about finishing and using up my stash. Possibly because I don't want to explain to my father why I have so many boxes of yarn to move back to Winnipeg. ;) (Although I have no idea why that would bother me... my dad is even more of a pack rat than I am.)

In the news, its looking like that "eye exam for kids" thing has some dirty dealings... it turns out kids already get examined by their pediatrician... and the crooked politician that stuck it in the *budget*, of all places, was the one getting shady contributions from optomitrists.

There's been a lot of debate around here on whether that nut who drove through the Pit was committing an act of terrorism. Some people are saying it is, some are saying calling it that is divisive... here's my opinion. From my understanding of the word, the nut's goal was terrorism, and he is a terrorist. A rather lousy one, but still, a terrorist. However, he is a single, mentally disturbed nut. Yes, he happened to be muslim, but if you think that means all muslims are terrorists, you need to take a course in logic 101. He was also a former UNC student... and that doesn't make all former UNC students terrorists! So... all you muslims on campus and/or who come in contact with me: I do consider the nut to be a terrorist, but I do not then assume you are terrorists. I do not blame any of you for his actions. You have nothing to fear from me. Even though I do happen to be a UNC student, and thus, one day, will be a former UNC student. ;)

There was more stupid stuff in the news that I was going to comment on, but I forget what it was now.

I think I'll swoon over Mr Darcy some more tonight, and skip the news. ;)

Speaking of Mr Darcy, the other night when the Lady Catherine de Bourgh appeared, I immediately felt a sense of recognition. The pose, the costume, the face, it was all familiar! But where? A famous painting? Then it hit me... that's where the sample shrone photo is from. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My opinion on the entire "terrorist" label is that by treating them as "common criminals" (which they are), you deny them the sensationalism that they seek as "terrorists". Therefore, I choose to refer to them as criminals, rather than terrorists.

noricum said...

Yes, well, there's a certain president I'd rather refer to as "idiot", but president is what he is. What I call him will make no difference.

Speaking of which, did you hear about the UNC student who had his computer seized by the feds for re-writing lyrics of a song to depict the death of Bush, or something like that?

I think the whole debate over whether or not he is a terrorist has given him more sensationalism than he would have gotten had he merely been labelled an inept terrorist-wannabe.