Monday, July 25, 2005

Separation

I try to keep my blog and my academic life separate. Partially because I don't want to be "dooced", and partially because I don't think my academic colleagues necessarily need to know this side of me. I was a bit frustrated to see that googling my name did in fact turn up my blog (although not in the first page). I'll be taking some steps to hopefully fix this. One is to use the name "noricum" as my "name", and the other will be to change my username at Crochetville (also to noricum). However, I think I should wait to change my Crochetville username until after the new Wishlist moderators have taken over. I don't want to confuse people who are trying to PM me there.

For some reason, even though I changed my name in my profile, the name at the top of my blog hasn't changed. Hopefully it just needs a little time to change. If nothing else, my name shows up less often, and thus the google rank for my name search should drop.

I just thought I'd let you know about the change, since this also changes the name left behind when I comment. The name has changed, I haven't. ;) (Woolie will still be there to remind you.)

Update: Well, what do you know... as soon as I posted this, the name change took effect!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have the option to set your blog to noindex in the meta tags? Lj has an option in your settings somewhere to set your blog so that it's not indexed by search engines, which is what I've done with mine. I also friendslock any work-related posts and any posts that contain my last name, just in case any search engines manage to find it anyway.

noricum said...

Hmmm... I could add "noindex" to my template. However I think that's a bit overkill... there are things on my blog that I like that they can be found... like my WOWs... I just want to discourage being able to search on my real name.

If I want to post anything "private", I'll do that over on my LJ blog. I can't "friends lock" things here.