Sunday, July 31, 2005

Curiosity Killed the Swatch

Washed Swatches
Washed Swatches

Well... they're not dead... not exactly.

I was curious, so I ran my two recent swatches through the wash. Why? To see what would happen, of course.

Weasley didn't come with any washing instructions, and I *don't* want to experiment on the finished sweater... not when its taken me so long! Well, it sort of came with washing instructions. Three words: "gentle wool wash". Huh? So I tossed the swatch in the regular wash with a load today (warm wash with Tide, dry flat). It felted. It didn't shrink much, and more in the vertical than horizontal direction. It's *wonderfully* soft now, though! Absolutely *dreamy*. But there's a definite loss of stitch definition, and I don't want Weasley to shrink at all. So now I know... hand wash only. (Or *possibly* the gentle cycle on cold, with Eucalan or something.)

The other swatch (on the left) is KnitPicks Crayon, and it got a turn through both the washer and dryer. You know, I completely forgot to measure it beforehand. It seems to have come through fine, although a teensy bit matted in places.

Both will still make perfectly good swatch bunnies. (When I get around to finishing them.)

Well, I've used up my flickr limit, so that's it for photos for this month. Luckily there's only one day left. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would definitely wash the Weasley by hand. After you have put that much work into it, you don't want it to shrink or felt.

Sallie