Thursday, July 07, 2005

If you're grumpy and you know it...

Well, I'm doing better now, but I didn't have a great night last night. :( After my last post I decided that what I really wanted was a shower before bed. I figured that if I was planning on having a shower, I might as well ride my exercise bike. So I rode for 20 minutes, had my shower, and then read while I dried off. Subsequently, it was midnight by the time I went to bed. :P (This when I had been planning to go to bed early.)

Well, that's life.

1:00 am: beep beep beep beep beep
Wha?
beep beep beep
is it morning already?
beep beep beep beep
that sounds like my watch...
beep beep beep
that is my watch... what's it doing beeping?
beep beep beep beep
(vague recollection of checking the time earlier that day, and noticing that it was in the "set alarm" mode.)
beep beep beep beep
Look at clock: 1:00 am.
beep beep beep beep
(insert string of obscenities)
beep beep beep beep
turn off beeping.

go back to bed.

...itch. ITCH!!!!
try to ignore it... try to sleep
ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!!
Aaaaargh! (Note to reader: I occasionally get these little bumps that are itchy as all getout... I have no idea what they are. Last night they were on my foot.)

Frustration mounts. What the (deleted) are these stupid bumps?!?!

Turn on light, get home medical book, look up itcy bumps. Book doesn't help. (Did I really think it would help these 1am questions?)

put moisturizer on bumps. ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!!
put calamine lotion on bumps. ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!!
read blogs while waiting for calamine lotion to dry. (at 1am when I *really* want to be sleeping.)
ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!! ITCH!!!!
get an ice pack from the freezer... calms the itching just enough that I can *finally* fall asleep.

morning... clock radio comes on... bombs in London. What a way to start the morning. (Yes, the Londoners have it much worse than I do, but their plight isn't helping me cheer up any, either.)

Why is it that now that I'm *supposed* to be awake, those stupid bumps don't itch any more?

I check my mail... my friend (hopefully still friend) still hasn't forgiven me my stupid, misconstrued comment.

I head to school.

Slight cheer to this morning: I comment to one of the staff that I hope to graduate and leave before construction on *this* building starts... staff member says he'll miss me... that I'm a fixture of the department. (Note: you know you've been a grad student too long when you're considered a "fixture" of the department...)

Well, I really need to get some work done. My chapter presentation from last week ended up postponed until this week... aka TODAY! Hmmm... must refresh my memory of what's in the chapter.

2 comments:

Deneen said...

I get those itchy bumps too. Don't know what they are, they come and go. Occasionally, Benadryl Liquid helps them. I used to get thingies on my hands when I bartended-later found out if my hands are in dishwater too long, these bumps come out. Mine are always on my hands, jawline, top of my boobs (real classy looking itching them there) or my upper arms. They suck. Curse of sensitive skin.

Anonymous said...

The reason for them itching when you're trying to sleep and going away when you're supposed to be awake is quite simple: the fundamental perversity of the universe. It probably also has something to do with so many other things to distract you during the day, but it's still deeply wrong.

When is construction slated to invade the building? Have they actually made any progress beyond making a tremendous mess?

I must remember to send you mail about the PhD fair this November. I'll be there again. We'll have to set something up.