Monday, January 07, 2008

Colo(u)r Me Y

Y: Ch 11, sl st in second ch from hook and in each of next 5 sts, ch 6, sl st in second ch from hook and in each of next 9 sts. Fasten off.

Y... why did it take me so long? Whoops! I had originally planned to find my original notes, which had gotten packed up somewhere in my move. My notes are still in an unpacked box, of which I have several. Perhaps I'll find them after this move, but I finally got around to recreating the Y for my Color Me (why is there no "u"?) afghan. Thanks, Kim, for the reminders! :)

While I was at it, I documented my S: Ch 26, sl st in second ch from hook and in each of next 24 sts. Fasten off. (I didn't test crochet this one, but the count looks right from the one sitting on my bed.)

Oh... other notes on this pattern. When doing the oval, it looks best (and has by far the fewest ends) if you keep one coloured ball running up each side and one charcoal ball up the middle, like you would with intarsia. (I forget which way I "twisted" the yarns when changing colour.) Don't cut and weave in ends with each colour, for goodness sake! (Unless you really desperately love weaving in ends, in which case, knock yourself out.) You can crochet over top of the coloured yarn to bring it to the other side, but it always shows a bit.

Also, they're not Crayola crayons. Crayola has a wavy bit at each end, and says "crayola" in the oval, with the colour name in small print near the blunt end. These are generic brand crayons. ;)

Update: Link fixed 19/02/08

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanx Andrea, it's really cute.
Janice

Hope said...

That url doesn't work..is the pattern anywhere else? I went and bought my yarn and came to print it and it was gone :(

I am sorry to bother you, but if there is another link could you email it to me at hopelail@charter.net. LOVE the pattern!!

greetingarts said...

Sorry, I know this is an older post, but I'm hoping you can answer a question for me... so when I'm working the chart, I'm working it from the bottom of the crayon upwards, right? So the chart on the Crochet Me site is horizontal, but I'll actually be working it vertically? Does that make any sense? Thanks for any help.

noricum said...

Yep, exactly! :)