Thursday, November 25, 2004

The incredible shrinking alpaca

Well, I confirmed that alpaca yarn does indeed felt if you toss it in the wash. I started out with a test swatch in sc, 6 inches wide by 2.5 inches tall. I tossed it in with my whites today, which were set on hot. (I wash everything on hot.) I didn't put it in the dryer. When it came out, it was about 5.25 by 2.25 inches, after I pulled it flat. (Some of the corners had folded over and felted to the rest.) It made a very dense, solid fabric.

I now have an urge to make felted alpaca slippers... ;)

It's still a bit damp, but feels very soft. As to the allergy question, when I hold it against my skin, it still feels a bit prickly. So I guess it's not an chemical that's doing it.

For some reason, it smells a bit like a hair salon... you know, that smell of damp, slightly burned hair smell... I imagine it'll smell better when it dries.

Any ideas what I should do with a 5.25"x2.25" piece of felted alpaca?

[measurements corrected Nov. 26]

No comments: