Saturday, October 13, 2007

Cheap Wool Fabric


Cheap Wool Fabric

It turns out that the skirt aisle at the thrift shop really *is* a good place to go fabric shopping. I got some lovely wool (tons of teal, and some lovely grey nearly-felt) for $5!

That's what I get for going to the thrift store looking to see what they had for buttons. It turned out they had a giant pail full, and sold them for $1 per teacup-full. Since I thought they would have a baggie or two fro $1, the selection overwhelmed me, and I left without.

Not wanting to waste the opportunity, I checked the skirt aisle, since someone had recommended that as being a good source for wool fabric. It was indeed. Most of the wool skirts contained a normal amount of fabric and were either navy or black. There was also one plaid kilt, plus the teal skirt that contains *tons* of fabric, and the handmade grey skirt made of gorgeous wool. Since the black and navy skirts were in abundance I left them for when I needed them. The teal and grey? Well, thrift shops just aren't your regular fabric shop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what are you going to do with all that nice wool?

noricum said...

They grey fabric will go in with my felt collection. It's a bit on the thin side for felt, but will still work well for Felt Wee Folk (both the actual folk, and what I've been doing that's inspired by the book).

Some of the teal will go there too. If I get seriously into rug hooking, the fabric will be used for that. Otherwise, I think it would make some cute stuffed animals and similar things. (Actually, there's enough that I could do both!)