Thursday, February 09, 2006

Thinking

I had lots of time to think last night. Why? Because I hardly slept at all. Why? Well, that's what I thought about. Here's the possibilities:
1. joint pain
2. exercise bike
3. sudafed

I don't think it was the joint pain... yes, my knee hurt, but it didn't hurt all that much.

I don't think it was riding my exercise bike either. Although exercise supposedly produces endorphins, I have *never* had problems sleeping after exercising before. Plus, the "bicycle butt" only really makes itself known when I prod it.

The non-drowsy sudafed is my prime suspect. The active ingredient is pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. Isn't ephedrine one of those stimulants they put in those nasty diet powders? Yes, there's a "pseudo" in front of the ephedrine, but it's still probably related. And the whole night I felt like my body was, um, "twitchy" is the best word I can come up with, or maybe "trembly." Yeah, trembly. Like I'm vibrating, sort of.

Hmmm... checking the back, it says: "Stop use and ask a doctor if you get nervous, dizzy, or sleepless..."

Gah.

Looks like I'll be contacting my doc.

My tongue is still swollen too. :P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't take sudafed (or many of those cold/allergy medicines) because of the ephedrine. it makes me all jumpy and trembly.

I hope you feel better today and especially tomorrow! :D

Anonymous said...

Sudafed also keeps me from sleeping. Also, my Allegra-D has that as the "D" part and I can't take it at night for the same reason. I'm ok if I take it in the morning though (It's only a 12 hr, so I take Zyrtec at night).

Anonymous said...

I've found that I don't sleep well if I take Sudafed either. It didn't used to bother me, but in the last couple of years, nearly every time I've taken it at night, I've found myself lying awake going "I can breathe, yay, why can't I sleep? Why do I feel so twitchy? Argggh!" I've quit taking it at night now unless I just absolutely won't be able to breathe at all otherwise. I probably should investigate decongestents that I can sleep while using, so that I'll be prepared next time I get sick.

You probably don't really need to call your doctor (unless you've been using it a lot, and it might be a contributing factor for the swollen tongue thing), just stop using it at night.

Anonymous said...

Yep, sudafed is basically ephedrine that's been tinkered with to make it less speedy, but lots of folks still have trouble with it. I can take it early in the day--I take a 12-hour one every morning--but if I take it, even the 4-hour kind, within 8 hours of bedtime I'm sure to be up all night...