Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Why didn't I think of this before?

I like low-effort meals. I like roast chicken. Roast chicken is dead simple, and I can also roast just a breast. Why didn't I realize this before? Sheesh.

Steps:
1. Move packaged chicken from freezer to fridge in morning.
2. Come home from school.
3. Remove chicken from packaging, run under water to get off frozen-on pad thingy.
4. Dump chicken in oven safe dish.
5. Place dish in 325F oven.
6. Knit for 2 hours while contemplating side dishes. (Consider basting if feeling energetic in last half hour of cooking.)
7. Remove chicken from oven, let stand for 15 minutes while preparing side dishes.
8. Slice off portion of chicken breast.
9. Eat dinner.
10. Toss remaining breast in ziploc bag, then place in fridge.

Even though I wrote that out as ten steps, it really was easy. Only one ingredient, so it's pretty hard to screw up. :)

The side dish was super easy too, since I had leftover baked potato from dinner Monday. (Another oven safe dish, heated with chicken for last bit of cooking.) Although the potato did give me a bit of a scare, when what I thought was butter didn't melt. After eating it, I'm guessing the white substance was cream cheese. Whatever it was, it had a mild garlic flavour, and didn't taste out of place. In fact, leftover Firebirds baked potato was really yummy. Perhaps I should see if I can mimic them, then freeze them for easy meals.

I think the chicken, however, was related to Godzilla. Here's the monster before roasting:
Chicken Breast, Pre-roasting
and here she is roasted:
Chicken Breast, Roasted
Yes, it's chicken, not turkey. And not even a whole chicken... just a "breast with rib meat." The rib cage on the flip side looks like it might fit a cornish game hen. What on earth were they feeding her? (She *must* be a "she.") I wouldn't want to run across this bird in a dark alley.

I definitely have leftovers from this sucker. (Does roast chicken freeze well? Perhaps I should make and freeze some soup.)

2 comments:

Marvie said...

You could shred the leftovers and throw it in a big salad for lunch or dinner... but I would guess it would freeze just fine. That sure is a pretty roasted chicken.... my chicken never gets that lovely color. Must try again lol

KelliAmanda said...

I'm all about any recipe where I can throw stuff in a baking dish and pop it in the oven. I don't like standing over a stove if I don't have to.