Friday, November 25, 2005

Observations

No bad weather today... my hips must have been commenting on the 40F drop in temperature last night.

It takes a lot longer to walk to the bank when you're trying to not bend your hips.

People are a lot more willing to wait for you to cross the street when you're obviously in pain... even though they have to wait much longer, and could have easily turned before you got there.

I feel ashamed when I'm "handicapped"... that I'm "letting a little pain get the best of me."

On the way back I saw some clever nuthatches. They were taking the pin oak acorns, wedging them in the rough oak bark, and then standing above them and pounding their beak on them to crack them open. I was amazed at the evolution that led to them having the right structure to cling "upside-down" to trees, since this appears to give them a forceful advantage when it comes to cracking open nuts. It was neat seeing them use the oak bark as a "tool." I wonder if this is a learned or instinctive behaviour?

No comments: