Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Lying Swatches

Before washing and blocking:
IMG_3173.JPG
After washing, while still wet:
IMG_3174.JPG
Dry:
IMG_3176.JPG

When it was wet, it measured at 16 stitches and 23 rows per four inches. I calculated that as being approximately 20% off of the required 19 stitches and 28 rows per four inches, and so switched from a 5mm to a 4mm needle.

I really wanted to start knitting (for real!) last night, and so cast on for the back.

This morning, now that the swatch has dried, I'm getting several more stitches and rows per inch on the swatch. *sigh* I figure I'll knit for a few inches, and see what sort of gauge I'm getting then.

Other factors to consider: The sizes given step from a 42" bust to a 46" bust, and I measured my bust at 43". That gave me a choice of 1" of negative ease, or 3" of positive ease. Which do I want? Alternately, I can knit the larger size at a slightly smaller gauge for a slightly less loose knit. (I have enough yarn for the larger size.)

To figure out what kind of ease the top is meant to have, I look at the photo. It says what size the model is wearing (in inches), and gives the model's size... but using a different method of measurement!!! Her size is given as "size 6". What the F@&% is a "size 6"?!?!? Are there even two garment manufacturers that agree on what a "size 6" is? Heck, if you took two tops from one designer, both a "size 6", they'd probably be different sizes! (If for no other reason, that they are supposed to fit differently.) Gah!

I guess I'll just knit for a bit, and see how it's looking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm, maybe they are referring to the 6th size (if the pattern has that many!).

Hereabouts we use measurements.

noricum said...

Nope, they're just being crazy. :P