Friday, July 01, 2011

Happy Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day! I love my country. It's not perfect, but it's my favourite place to live.

To those along the Souris River, or being swamped by Lake Manitoba, my thoughts are with you.

This climate change shit is scary... more people need to start doing more to slow it down & hopefully get things under control! I try to do what I can. (What are you doing?)

Why is it when DDT was killing birds, it got banned? How did the government get CFCs phased out, to try to save the ozone? What's different now, that our government is not being proactive when it comes to climate change? Does it not see the million tiny things pointing to something being wrong? Three million acres of Manitoba farmland went unseeded this year due to flooding. The entire state of Texas has been declared a natural disaster due to drought. Storms are more severe, and more often. Oceans are facing mass extinction.

When you're out celebrating today, please think of a way you can help keep this country (and the world) a great place to live.

Two small things I did recently:

1. I made a reusable shopping bag out of fabric that was rescued from the trash:
IMG_4604
(It was formerly part of a camping item which was wearing out and no longer wanted.)

2. I repaired a reusable bag for a friend, so that it can keep on chugging:
IMG_4608

One thing I'm not happy about:

That seemingly sturdy bag my tooth-care items came in?
IMG_4770
Is "degradable", which means that if I try to reuse it, it will fall apart on me. The product's web site makes it sound nice, but I don't trust so-called (bio)degradable plastics: see this, this, and this. Ever hear of "greenwashing"? :(

I'm not perfect either, but I do what I can.

No comments: