Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Sock Progress

IMG_3782
Not bad. I failed to take into account the pairing of increases/decreases when designing the toe chart, and so had to add some lifted increases but I think my modified chart turned out rather nicely.
IMG_3785
(I've woven in the ends, but want to do a final bit of securing before I trim the rest.) Now on to the second sock.

The second sock will, of course, be made to match the first, but if I were to do this pattern again, I'd:
1. Stop the chart on the toe a half repeat earlier so that I have more plain knitting on the toe.
2. Do a few rows of garter stitch at the top of the sock as a border.
3. Add some extra stitches of stockinette between repeats at the top of the socks to provide calf shaping. (I've inherited my mother's & grandfather's calves.) Probably two stitches between horizontal repeats for the first chart repeat (six extra stitches), reduce to one for the second chart repeat (three extra stitches), and back to no extra stitches for the third chart repeat.

I'll post modelled photos when both are done and final tails gone. ;)

No comments: