Tuesday, March 05, 2013

A tale of two squirrels

I put the bird feeder up after winter had already started. Despite a little red squirrel feeding there too, the seed level would only descend slowly. Then, this past weekend, I noticed a *dramatic* drop in seed level over very little time. What had changed? Word had gotten around! Saturday I counted around a dozen birds at the feeder: sparrows, finches, chickadees, nuthatches, and woodpeckers. I figured I should grab my camera, there were so many birds! Of course, by the time I got back to the window with my camera, the birds were gone... my little red friend was there:
IMG_6941
He was nice, though, and only had a few seeds before letting the birds back. (I'd post a photo of the birds, but they blend fairly well with the trunk, so it's hard to see them with all the spots on the window... which prompted Saturday's cleaning frenzy.

However, I suspect the real reason for the drop in seed levels is this pig, a grey squirrel:
IMG_6956
When I took this photo, my little red friend was higher up in the tree, and eventually he gave up and scampered away. :(

No comments: