Monday, January 04, 2010

Stinky

The organic gardening place recommended neem oil to get rid of pests on my plants. After doing some research online, I found out that neem oil works by making bugs not want to eat. They say it's because it messes with the bugs' hormones, making them forget to eat.

After smelling that stuff, I think the bugs are too nauseous to eat. :P

However, if it kills the bugs on my bay tree without making the bay leaves kill me, I'll put up with a temporary stink. (And if I have my appetite suppressed by the smell, well, I could afford to lose a few pounds. I don't think it worked tonight, though.)

I put it on the mango tree too. I have no intention of eating the mango plant (I highly doubt it will ever fruit), but I'm not fond of breathing in insecticide... which inevitably happens whenever I try using the stuff.

2 comments:

Swaha Miller said...

I would love a neem tree in my backyard but it wont make the NC winters. Speaking of winter, how are YOU growing a MANGO tree? Is it a bonsai in a pot or what??

noricum said...

"Tree" would be a bit of an overstatement at this point... it's in a 12" pot, and is about 44" tall from the level of the dirt.

It did grow from a mango seed, though... and if it were down in the tropics, it would grow into a tree. ;)