Friday, April 24, 2009

The Minus 30 Scarf

I just finished a scarf, and it's *awesome* in a crazy way. Check it out:
IMG_1683.JPG
Now, it looks all innocent in that photo up there, but that thing is *huge*!!! In this next photo, it's wrapped around me twice, and the ends still hang to my waist:
IMG_1685.JPG
Doubled, it stretches from my nose to the floor, making it around 10 feet long!

I even had yarn left over:
IMG_1686.JPG

Here's a close-up of the stripes:
IMG_1687.JPG

This thing is so heavenly, squishy soft. Mmmm! I think it'll have to be about -30 to wear it, though. ;)

Yarn requirements:
Two 100 gram balls of Malabrigo, three balls of roughly 50 gram balls of handspun.
Scarf recipe:
Cast on 400 (or desired number of) stitches. Knit garter stitch for a while, then some seed stitch, switching back and forth as desired. (Or if you screw up the seed stitch, use a few rows of garter. Tinking half a row or more isn't worth it.) Switch between the Malabrigo and handspun when a ball is finished, or part way through the ball of Malabrigo as desired.

5 comments:

sara said...

I love it! It seems to me it must get close to -30 up in your parts. I mean, judging from the ice on your windows this winter ;-)

noricum said...

Oh yeah, it'll definitely get worn. Probably most of January and February, and possibly parts of December and March too. :P It all depends on when the cold snap(s) hit.

Sallie said...

This is really pretty. I love the colors.

Muriel said...

I love the colors too. I began one too with similar colors, but it won't be finished before next year I am afraid. I don't feel like knitting in the summer, it is more like a winter hobby, summer is for beading.

noricum said...

A lot of people do tend to knit less in the summer... particularly if they live somewhere hot, or don't have air conditioning. ;)