Monday, August 01, 2005

Yuck!

When I arrived at the bus stop today, there were already two people in the shelter... a woman and a man. The woman greeted me, so I said hello back. I took my usual spot just outside the shelter, on a low wall.

Aside: my advisor just came in...sweaty from bike riding in... and sat on my officemate's chair. He's gone now, and the chair is damp. Ewwww! However, it was nice that he came in to see how I was doing. Too bad I didn't have work on my screen. Oops. However, we arranged for a work session together this afternoon (I seem to concentrate better when I'm sitting in his office), so I should make good progress then. :)

The lady asked me if I made my socks. I said yes. I showed her the pair in progress as well. She was very impressed, and very chatty. I was feeling suspicious. She asked if I made my hat (everyone asks that) I said no, but that I had made my "purse". She said I could make lots of money doing this stuff. Why do people always think that? Between the yarn costs and time involved, I'd only be able to make money if rich people felt like spending ridiculous amounts on it! Sheesh.

Anyway, after a few minutes she leans over, conspiratorially, and quietly asks if I can spare a few bucks so she can buy herself a sandwich. I say I don't... yes, I had money on me, but I'm not "rich", and I'm not sure I'll have an income in the fall. I just wrote a cheque for tuition that's leaving my bank account rather thin.

I also noticed that the gentleman with her was drinking a beer. At 10 am. When they want money for "food".

I'm sorry, but I'm saving my hard-earned pennies for tuition. If I have money left over, I'll donate to a food bank.

And sure enough, after I didn't give her any money, she stopped being so chatty. :P

2 comments:

ThreeOliveMartini said...

thanks for the t-shirt link .. i saw them at my LYS this weekend and was smitten.. I am still recovering from "vacation" LOL so nothing to spoil me til i make some money !! but loved that EXACT shit.. it rocks

Jewels said...

ewwwhhhhhh...yah, with working downtown I see lots of that. And the more I see the more they disgust me when they're riding a $300 mountain bike and want to bum a smoke or a quarter. I think not1