Monday, August 29, 2005

Movies

I watched Collateral tonight. It's not a movie I particularly wanted to see, but it was what was available at my apartment office this weekend. (Lousy selection... they're about to switch over to a new batch, and so are trying to pull in all the old ones.)

Now, I seem to remember that Jamie Foxx got nominated for "best supporting actor" for this movie.

Question: what meathead decides who's the main actor, and who's supporting? If I were to sit down and watch this movie, without seeing any of the commercials or having heard about the Oscars, and someone asked me who the lead actor was, I would say Jamie Foxx. It's clear... he's the one with character development, the story is told mainly from his point of view, heck, he's the one that "gets the girl". Sure, Tom Cruise was the main bad guy, but the story wasn't told from his point of view. This movie was about Max the cab driver, not Vincent the hitman. Sheesh.

I seem to see that a lot... especially when a woman is, in my opinion, the main actor. Although it's gotten somewhat better recently... I'm starting to see women listed first in the credits at the top of posters...

And that, folks, is my 2 cents.

1 comment:

pfirsch said...

I think Jamie Foxx was the supporting actor only because he's not as famous as Tom Cruise. It had nothing to do with the actual story.

You hit the nail on the head.