Wednesday, August 31, 2005

WiPs, etc.

Well, I couldn't help myself. I wound the ball of Fleece Artist sock yarn so that it would be ready (I've been wanting to do them for a while now, but never have time to wind the skein when it was time to start a new pair), and couldn't resist the temptation of that gorgeous ball sitting on my coffee table. So now, when I get frustrated with Weasley colourwork, I do a few rows on my FA socks. I *love* the colours... "blue lagoon"... blue and green, with the green making a narrow spiral up the sock. *sigh*

Weasley is still chugging along slowly. I think I'm getting a bit better at the colourwork. I've figured out that if I secure the contrast colour a bit past the letter, that the boundary between the two colours looks better. The previous stuff doesn't look too bad, though, so I'm going to leave it.

The crayon blanket is in a holding pattern... I need the "charcoal" yarn for the stripes. I could start the bottoms of other crayons, but I want to finish one crayon first, to see if I'll have enough yarn to make it the size I want. Otherwise, I'll have to rip and make it a bit narrower. So no point in starting the first two inches of all the crayons yet. :P

With the end of summer, I'll be wanting my wool blanket soon... I should start working on it again! I think I'll plan to do one square per evening, and not work on Weasley until after I've made at least one square. I should sit down and crank out those slippers too. They're a bulky crochet, and shouldn't take too long if I would just decide to do them. ;)

Also on my to-do list is clean up the clutter in my house. And the dust bunnies. Bad bunnies.

Still no word on funding for this term. I should know by the end of the day. The suspense is killing me. It's not a big deal, but if I'm not funded, I need to figure out medical insurance. (Damn US stupid medical stuff.)

Why is it that the term I'm likely not getting funding, I desperately want to make three Noro sweaters? One is Klaralund, out of the pricey Noro Silk Garden. The other two are from the same book (Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton - Book Two), but I don't know what they're called, or what yarn they use. (I haven't bought the book yet... not really any point if I can't afford the yarn.) One is a lovely cabled cardigan with edging in Noro, and the other is a red cardigan held closed with a pin at the top. All three patterns can be seen here. The two with unknown names are at the bottom on the right hand side. (Note to self: errata available here.) Maybe if I use up enough of my stash, and am careful with my budget in other ways, I might be able to justify it at some point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh...that bottom middle one is really pretty. :)

The bottom right one would be more practical for me, though; I need a new sweater to wear to work in the summer. Too bad I don't knit.

Anonymous said...

when I get home, I can check on the names of the sweaters and the amounts/yarn requirements if you want to know (I have CTH2 for Klara and Tovesta).

I've seen a couple of Klaralunds done in Kureyon -- they look great! Just less soft than the silk garden.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your funding! (and isn't health ins with the school covered under the fees associated with tuition? ).

Look forward to seeing the fleece artist socks! :D

noricum said...

I don't really understand US health insurance... I think my student fees allow me to visit student health, but as an alien, I'm required to have additional health coverage. (I.e. in case I croak, and they have to mail me home.)

Anonymous said...

I think there's some kind of student health insurance you can pay for. No idea how expensive it is, though.

Here's a link to UNC's information on the subject: http://studenthealth.unc.edu/needtoknow/payment_eligibility/insurance.html