Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Scrabble

One of the things J and I did at the lake was play Scrabble.

I should note we use "Delgatty Rules":
  • Since the tray can hold nine tiles, that's how many you play with. (To get the 50 point bonus, you have to use all nine tiles.)
  • Looking up words in the dictionary is allowed.
  • The first person must make a word at least five letters long, or pass (with no penalty).
  • If you get three of the same letter, you may throw one back and get a new tile.
I've always played with these rules, and J is amenable to them.

J hasn't played for a *loooong* time. (Well, I haven't played much lately either, but I have played more recently than him.) In the first game, I beat J, although he wasn't far behind. (Even though he had a run of crappy letters.)
Scrabble
In the second game, J achieved a huge lead early in the game. I nearly caught up by adding "wage" to the end of "devote" for 69 points (J thought because the "s" and "d" tiles were used up, that he had blocked both triple word scores), but I still lost. It was a close game.
Scrabble
Here's the scores for the first two games:
Scrabble
In the third game, I didn't have a hope. Especially after he blew me away with the 88 point "equip" late in the game:
Scrabble
In my defense, I did have a crappy run of letters that game.

Well, our total was still respecable on all three games. ;) (In my family, a 500 point game is considered well played, and all three of ours topped 600.)

3 comments:

Sallie said...

Oh my!!!! Remind me to never play Scrabble with you guys. I'd get pulverized. Looks like fun though.

KelliAmanda said...

Yep. You're perfect for each other. ;-)

Steph said...

We like your blog AM. So very fine to have our own ilk of Scrabble Rules fomenting in our family. An intellectual badge of accomplishment, better than watching Survivor all summer. Another way to have spent our summer was to head to MB, but this Iceland thing came up and there was an 80something yr old who I wanted to meet in the balance.
My Iceland blog is horribly unedited, laden with jet lag moments and thoughts outloud that maybe weren't worth an utterance, but I hope you like it.