Monday, July 17, 2006

Silly Loophole

J and I are heading to the lake this weekend. I don't have my boating licence yet. (They brought in this regulation while I was down in the US, and I haven't gotten around to getting one yet.) My family's cabin can only be reached by boat. We're heading up two days before my mom and B. It turns out there's a loophole:
Q. What if I don’t live in Canada, but boat there?
A. Non-residents only need to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card to operate a powered watercraft if any of the following conditions apply to them:

• They are in Canada for more than 45 consecutive days
• They own property in Canada
• They have a watercraft that is registered in Canada
• They have a foreign registered watercraft that is left in Canada for more than 45 consecutive days

However, if a non-resident has a safe boating certificate or equivalent from their country of residence, then this certificate will act as proof of competency, and may be used instead of the PCOC card.
Thus, J can drive the boat without a licence. :P

1 comment:

noricum said...

Turns out our boats are 14 and 16 feet long, so yeah, I get to wait until 2009 too. :) (But I think I'll get it before then, just to get it out of the way.)