Thursday, November 11, 2010

Windwheel Repair

*cough* *cough*... Note to self: although it doesn't smell, pay attention to the "work in a well ventilated area" warning! (I meant to have the windows open, but forgot. I've got a cross-breeze going now, and am in a different room. Opening the windows at +1C is a bit nippy.)

I finally got around to gluing the upper wheel on my Windwheel spinning wheel. I meant to do this repair outside on a nice sunny day, but somehow that never happened this summer. So, kitchen it is. For those who are interested, I took photos of the steps (except the actual gluing... I needed to focus then, to get the glue *only* where I wanted it):

IMG_3973
IMG_3975
IMG_3977

Here you can see the crack better:
IMG_3979
It turns out it wasn't *completely* separated... there were strands joining the two parts. This made gluing more challenging.

These clamps were to go through the holes:
IMG_3980
It turns out it's difficult to get clamps that are small enough to fit in the holes, while being long enough to span the holes. This pair *just* fit the bill once I removed the pads... but then there were no pads. So I added a few layers of newspaper to minimize marking.

Dry run:
IMG_3981
The newspaper around the wheel is for two reasons: protect the wood from the ratchet, and to keep the strap from being permanently glued to the wheel. ;)

Glued & clamped:
IMG_3982
IMG_3984

Now we wait...

3 comments:

odessa said...

That looks like an intense operation! I hope that it works :)

noricum said...

That's probably why I kept putting it off. ;) I hope it works too!

Heather said...

YOur repair looks very promising. All that prep work will be well worth it when the wheel is mended.