Sunday, September 17, 2006

Footloose and Fancy-Free

Or not. Fancy-Free that is. It turns out the situation that leaves me free to visit J also prevents me from visiting J: I can't prove that I have stronger ties to Canada, and intend to leave the US. We got a twit at the border today, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to visit J again... I think the guy wrote a long note in my file, I have an I-94 good until tomorrow, but I haven't screwed up my chance to get a PhD: the twit did at least let me enter. Had I been refused entry, I wouldn't be able to return for many years. :(

The guy is a twit. When another guy in immigration saw him coming, his comment was that "I'm screwed."

I'll post more later... for now, I'm enjoying my last night with J. Oh... and if you were planning on mailing me something here, *don't*. If you already have, don't worry, I'll make arrangements with J to forward it to me. However, it would be nice to minimize the double-mailings. (Vicky and Regina: I did get the orange yarn and sari silk, thanks! I'll post more about that later too.)

6 comments:

Deneen said...

So you are in Canada and not coming back to NY for some time?

Starting January there is the passport issue for Americans to travel to Canada, which blows-but I don't know how it's set up for Canadians to visit the US?

Anonymous said...

Meep. You live in Canada, your family is in Canada, all your stuff is in Canada, how much stronger ties do they need?

noricum said...

My boyfriend is in the US, and I don't have a job or am going to school. Mostly the guy at the boarder was a jerk. However, I now have something in my file that may screw me. But I don't know.

Deneen: I have a passport, that isn't the issue. The issue was the jerk. I'm in NY tonight, leaving for Canada in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Doh. That is really frustrating! :/

I should have a box to mail (finally finished my trekking socks) up to you-- so I should mail it to winnipeg {I think I have that address}? and do you want duplicates of sock yarn you already have (ladybug for example)?

KelliAmanda said...

That sucks! The most ridiculous part being, of course, that they would assume that you would prefer the US to Canada. How many Canadians prefer the US to Canada? Seriously. I'm sorry. :-(

Anonymous said...

Oh, jeez. Major suckage. Email me your Canadian address for the swap package (I used to have it but seem to have lost it!) - looks like that might be the best place to find you! (Stupid, stupid border jerk!)