Monday, May 23, 2011

Dissapointing

A few years ago, Johnson & Johnson discontinued my shampoo. I went on a hunt to find enough to last me a while, but not so much that it would expire before I could use it all. I can't remember how many bottles I bought, but I suspect I'm about two-thirds the way through my stash.

Recently, I noticed my shampoo back on the store shelves. I kept meaning to check the ingredients, to make sure it actually was the same shampoo, but never got around to it. The small bottle I keep in the shower has been starting to get grungy looking more frequently, so I decided to risk buying a new small sized bottle.
IMG_4517
Although the older shampoo is more yellow-looking, I've been noticing that it yellows with age, and so wasn't too concerned by the pale colour of the new bottle. The bottles and labels, down to the fonts, were reassuringly identical (when comparing same sized bottles, of course).

However, comparing the ingredients tonight, the contents are disturbingly different. Ingredients in the older shampoo:
IMG_4518
Ingredients in the new shampoo:
IMG_4519
Sh!t.

The ingredients differ by over 50%. I don't have much hope.

The question is, do I try it, and give the rest away if I can't use it? Or do I return it? *sigh*

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I know sodium laureth sulfate is generally considered non-irritating, but I can't speak for the rest of it except that I've always been unable to use the Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo because of the horrible, cloying scent. :-)

Did I ever give you any of my Paula's Choice shampoo to try when you were in NC? She's known for avoiding skin irritants, including using no scent at all, which is why I buy it. (If you're ever interested in trying it, I can also say from personal experience that they do honor the money-back guarantee if you don't like it... though you're still on the hook for shipping. Or I could try to mail a little sample to Canada.)

noricum said...

Weird, I don't really notice the shampoo scent, and find it less than others. Of course, I also can't tell if foods contain nuts, nut extracts, or sesame seeds/oil by scent... except, of course, when I start having trouble breathing (with the sesame).

I've never tried Paula's Choice. Is that something you buy online? Hmmm... just googled it, and it has mango seed butter. I know I'm allergic to mangoes, not sure about it's seed butter, though. (That' the nice thing about the natural ones... I can at least identify in advance that I'll be allergic!)

Swaha Miller said...

Books like they tried to get rid of the parabens which have become controversial adding some petrochemical compounds instead (PEG-40...) What about baby shampoos of the supposedly "natural" kind? (Burt's Bees, California Baby...) Some of my friends are trying to use non-chemical products like soapnut powder and combination of baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

noricum said...

I've tried regular baby shampoo, and couldn't use it. I haven't tried the natural baby shampoo stuff. I've read about baking soda and vinegar, but haven't tried that yet either.

I didn't know parabens had become controversial... I'll have to read up on that. Thanks! :)